Was He Naturalized?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pslreale

Was He Naturalized?

Postby pslreale » 24 Feb 2011, 16:09

My GGF emigrated to the US from Italy, and I would like to gain dual citizenship in this manner ---> GGF - GM - Mother - Me

The problem lies in whether he naturalized or not. I located a certificate of intent to nationalize on June 8, 1917 -- in Suffolk county. He only lived in Suffolk County, so I called the clerk's office & she stated that they only have a letter of intent on file. Is it possible that he never completed the process?
I always assumed that he was naturalized, because both the 1920 & 1930 census display NA but the date of citizenship says -- 1917. After reading through the posts, I understand that it takes a few years to complete the process. I'm guessing that he just SAID that he was a US citizen and never completed the process.

Does this seem likely? If so, what would be my next step to prove this...OR..to determine that this is true? My grandmother was born in 1928, which would make me ineligible if he did naturalize. I was reading that the census is a major document when proving no proof of naturalization. Does that mean that I'm wasting my time?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Was He Naturalized?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Feb 2011, 18:02

Hopefully your mother was born on or after January 1, 1948. Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the father.

The definitvie answer for naturalizations after September, 1906 comes from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service - http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

Unfortunately, their response time for requests is, at best, 3 - 4 months.

If you would share with us your great-grandfather's full name and date or year of birth, we may be able to help you find records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

pslreale

Postby pslreale » 24 Feb 2011, 18:12

Thanks for your response & that link. I'll send it off & see what they come up with in 4 months! Yes, my mother was born in 1958, so I'm ok there..:)

Here is the information of my great grandfather -

Name: Paolo Cisternino
(AKA Paul Cisterino, Paul Cisternino, Paolo Cisterino)

year of Birth: 1897
Arrived 1913 From Cisternino, Italy
Lived in Suffolk County New York (City: Greenport) his whole life
Date of Intent to naturalize: June 8, 1917

Thanks so much for your help!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Feb 2011, 18:59

Is there a chance he served in the US Navy during WWI?

I found this index record:

New York County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index, 1907-24 about Paul Cisternino
Name: Paul Cisternino
Address: U.S. Navy
Date: 3 Jan 1919
Volume #: 331
Page #: 229

Granted, not much information, but the name is quite rare so it may be something of interest.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

pslreale

Postby pslreale » 24 Feb 2011, 19:06

Thanks for finding this piece of information. I asked a relative & it turns out that he served in the US Navy during that time. So, that means that he WAS naturalized...yes? :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Feb 2011, 19:12

Well, until you have the documents in hand and can compare date of birth, spouse's and children's names, etc, you won't know for certain.

Try contacting the court clerk for the civil term ( http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/1jd/index.shtml ) and inquire as to the location of naturalization records citing the information above. If you are lucky, they will say that the National Archives has copies - NARA usually can provide copies in a matter of a few weeks.
Carmine

musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Postby musaccosteve » 24 Feb 2011, 22:29

I requested naturalization information from the USCIS via Form G-1041, which was received on January 14, 2011. I called late last week, and I was told that they were processing for January, and that I should receive the requested information within the next couple of weeks.

johnnyonthespot wrote:Hopefully your mother was born on or after January 1, 1948. Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the father.

The definitvie answer for naturalizations after September, 1906 comes from the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service - http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

Unfortunately, their response time for requests is, at best, 3 - 4 months.

If you would share with us your great-grandfather's full name and date or year of birth, we may be able to help you find records.

pslreale

Postby pslreale » 01 Mar 2011, 04:13

Thanks for your help everyone. I've placed an order..and now I wait..:)

Thanks so much for your help...but I have one more question..:) My paternal great grandfather is also from Italy, and I'm wondering if it would be possible to gain citizenship from him. However, I don't know where he would have claimed naturalization. I signed up for Ancestry.com & received a good amount of information explaining where he lived (Michigan). I searched through the counties that were listed, but, the naturalization info doesn't seem to pop up. Where would I search for this if I'm not sure where he would have naturalized? Would I send an order to the USCIS for him as well?

Here is the information that I've come up with so far:

Domanico Agosta
Birth abt 1898 in Italy
Death Mar 1984 in Highland Park, Wayne, Michigan, USA
Arrival To US - July 1920 from Trapani, Sicily, Italy

Spouse: Lena Agosta 1906 – 1993

Thanks again for all of your help!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”