Name change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: Name change

Post by kontessa »

Wow, sorry that you weren't able to amend your birth record. Do you have an appointment scheduled yet, btw? I recall you saying that you could apply in Philly...this may be a better option than Miami. It might be a good idea to just go to your appointment with an affidavit, the refusal letter from NYS for amending your own birth record, and all of your evidence, and see what they tell you to do.

Other than a court order to change mistakes in the records (or add an AKA), or obtaining a judicial finding of one and the same, I can't think of any other solution except trying to submit an affidavit to explain the discrepancies and hope that the consulate accepts it. Hopefully Carmine will chime in - he usually has the best solutions. :D Good luck!
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

I do not have an appointment yet. I am still waiting for one birth cert from Italy, as well as my own and my wife's, which were lost in the mail somewhere between Spain and PA. I think there is plenty of evidence to support the claim that D=S. These kinds of issues are common from what I have read here and elsewhere, so not the first time they will have dealt with this sort of problem at a Consulate.

Do you suggest that I apostille my mother's marriage cert to her first husband? I am using it to show the name transition from Sebastiana to Diana S. I have her using both names later on in life too.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

garypeg wrote: Do you suggest that I apostille my mother's marriage cert to her first husband? I am using it to show the name transition from Sebastiana to Diana S. I have her using both names later on in life too.
Well, I guess it can't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary. (You do have her divorce documents, right? If not, I think that these are required as well.) Imo, I would craft an official affidavit that explains the two names, with all of the proper Italian citations and verbiage, of course. I think that there is a link posted somewhere on the forum to a site that allows you to plug in your information and an official affidavit is created for you. I did this for my brother's appointment in Newark about 3 months ago. but I don't have the link right now. (I can search for the link if you need it.) I really hope that everything works out for you. Best wishes and in bocca al lupo. :)
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Her first husband died. I have his death certificate. Thanks! Will look for that affidavit and post back the link.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Here's a link to a thread containing the information about the affidavit:
http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... 86-30.html
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

Thanks for the link. Working on the affidavit. I will look to see if anyone has uploaded an example filled in, to see what kind of language the Italians use.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

An update: I ordered a long form of my birth certificate (finally realizing that's what I needed vs the one I already had, short form). My mother used Diana Sebastina P as her maiden name. I think this should resolve whatever doubts the consulate might have.
garypeg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garypeg »

I have collected all the documents I need and am ready to make an appt. in Philly. However I still have the name discrepancy issue with regards to my mother. I have plenty of documentation to show her use of the two names. However, I think I need to supply an affidavit to the consulate. Anyone have a sample document of this sort?

Thanks
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

Try these:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... -t595.html
http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... -t250.html

Take a look at the rest of the template section as there are links in other threads to affidavits as well as discussions on their use.