Please help clarify - short and sweet

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
BarbaraBaffo

Please help clarify - short and sweet

Postby BarbaraBaffo » 28 Feb 2011, 20:50

My grandfather was born in Sicily in 1893, came to the US around 1916 and became a naturalized citizen in 1929. My father, his son, was born in the US in 1931 and I also in the US in 1961.

My grandmother, my father's mother was born in Sicily in 1898, came to the US around the same time and also became an American citizen.

If anything I think I may have better luck going through my father/grandfather. I've read the requirements a million times and still can't figure it out. Please help me.

My question is; the $65,000 question. Do I qualify for dual citizenship with Italy?

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Please help clarify - short and sweet

Postby JavaisLife » 28 Feb 2011, 20:59

Since your father was born after your GF naturalized, you cannot go through your grandfather. However, I would write to the NARA to double check sometimes dates we are told and dates that are recorded are off.

If indeed your grandfather naturalized before your father's birth. I believe your grandmother may have lost her citizenship and naturalized along w/ her husband (your grandfather) in 1929.*

* I am not certain about that

What about your mothers side?

BarbaraBaffo

Postby BarbaraBaffo » 28 Feb 2011, 21:11

JavaisLife wrote:Since your father was born after your GF naturalized, you cannot go through your grandfather. However, I would write to the NARA to double check sometimes dates we are told and dates that are recorded are off.
If indeed your grandfather naturalized before your father's birth. I believe your grandmother may have lost her citizenship and naturalized along w/ her husband (your grandfather) in 1929.*

* I am not certain about that

What about your mothers side?

Thanks so much. I have the naturalization certificate from my GF so I am certain it is 1929. That's too bad. My mother was a French citizen so I need to explore her history with regards to dual citizenship. I heard France is very difficult

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JavaisLife » 28 Feb 2011, 21:20

I'm not 100% sure what happens to your grandmothers citizenship when your grandfather naturalized. I would explore your French roots, but I would wait to see what others have to write in regards to the naturalization and how it effects woman's rights and marriage.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Feb 2011, 21:29

JavaisLife wrote:I'm not 100% sure what happens to your grandmothers citizenship when your grandfather naturalized.

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter. Any children born to grandmother prior to January 1, 1948 could not inherit Italian citizenship from her, even if she herself was still Italian.

Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the father.

It seems therefore that Barbara's father could not have inherited Italian citizenship from either of his parents. Unless Barbara has Italian blood on her mother's side, her only option for Italian citizenship would be expedited naturalization which would require that she reside legally in Italy for a period of three years after which time she could apply for citizenship through naturalization on the basis of having an Italian ancestor up to the 2nd degree (her grandfather). If Barbara were to go this route, she would not be able to pass Italian citizenship to her own children, except those who are still minors and who reside under her roof.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

BarbaraBaffo

Postby BarbaraBaffo » 28 Feb 2011, 21:48

Wow, this is really sad for me but there is nothing I can do. I have no Italian heritage on my mother's side. Thank you both for confirming this information and so quickly too.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Feb 2011, 21:58

BarbaraBaffo wrote:Wow, this is really sad for me but there is nothing I can do. I have no Italian heritage on my mother's side. Thank you both for confirming this information and so quickly too.

You're welcome, Barbara. Sorry the result was not in your favor.

I don't suppose your mother's side was Irish by any chance? If so, there may still be opportunities for EU citizenship...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

BarbaraBaffo

Postby BarbaraBaffo » 28 Feb 2011, 22:12

johnnyonthespot wrote:
BarbaraBaffo wrote:Wow, this is really sad for me but there is nothing I can do. I have no Italian heritage on my mother's side. Thank you both for confirming this information and so quickly too.

You're welcome, Barbara. Sorry the result was not in your favor.

I don't suppose your mother's side was Irish by any chance? If so, there may still be opportunities for EU citizenship...

Actually, my mother was born in Morocco but was a French citizen. She is now a US citizen. She became an American citizen just 2 months before I was born. She still has brothers now living in France but are not so willing to facilitate anything. Any advice?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”