notations on a ships manifest of alien passengers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

notations on a ships manifest of alien passengers

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 02:37

what do the notations made above a passengers name? there are a bunch of numbers with an A at the end followed by a date

there is also another notation 2A-2748 11/3/36...what does that mean?
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: notations on a ships manifest of alien passengers

Postby Tessa78 » 01 Mar 2011, 04:49

That notation sounds like a reference to naturalization/citizenship...

Here is a link to the interpretation of Passenger Manifest Annotations.\
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Drew927 » 01 Mar 2011, 07:38

I believe it is a Certificate of Arrival number relating to Naturalization.
Drew927
Veteran
Veteran

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 12:53

What was a Certificate of Arrival? (United States only)

Certificates of Arrival were a product of the Basic Naturalization Act of 1906, and begin to appear in court naturalization records ca. 1911. The 1906 law required that each applicant for naturalization be a legally admitted immigrant, and applied to all immigrants arriving after June 29, 1906. These began to apply for citizenship in 1911 (5 years later), and in response to the applications to the courts (Declarations or Petitions), the Immigration Service would issue a Certificate of Arrival, which simply certified information taken from the passenger manifest. The Certificates of Arrival were never given to the immigrant. They were issued and sent to the court, to satisfy the court that the applicant met the admission and residency requirements for naturalization. Certificates of Arrival were associated with Declarations and/or Petitions, but were not the same document. When an immigrant filed a Declaration (or, if they were exempt from the Declaration requirement, when they filed their Petition), one copy of that document went from the court to the US Immigration Service. The INS then checked the immigration records to verify the immigrant's claimed port/date/ship of arrival. When found, they would certify that information on a form called "Certificate of Arrival," and mail it back to the court. Today these forms are often found filed with the court records. Copies of the certificates were not kept by the INS, since they had the passenger list itself.

http://www.theshipslist.com/Forms/faq.html

Here is an example, cut from my maternal grandfather Filippo's passenger manifest and the actual Certificate of Arrival card which came with his other naturalization documents from the county archives:

image upload

free image hosting
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 13:14

Mbmal,

This is quite odd. From your other thread, we are confident that Domenico naturalized in 1922 (even if not certain how he accomplished such a trick...) and yet, Domenico's manifest contains these markings from 1936.

I don't know exacly what to make of this but it would definitely be worth looking into. Did I understand from another of your posts that you are in or conveniently near to New York City? You might want to discuss this document with a professional at the National Archives ( http://www.archives.gov/northeast/nyc/ ) to learn for certain if the numbers found are truly a certificaaste of arrival and, if so, why?

image host
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 14:07

If these numbers represent a certificate of arrival then wouldn't it seem as though he could not gain naturalization in 1922 and would most likely to have occured after ggf was 21?
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 14:18

Mbmal wrote:If these numbers represent a certificate of arrival then wouldn't it seem as though he could not gain naturalization in 1922 and would most likely to have occured after ggf was 21?

After 1912, the Certificate of Arrival was a necessary part of the naturaliztion process, to show that the petitioner entered the US legally.

If Domenico naturalized in 1922, I cannot imagine why a certificate of arrival (or any other notation) would have been requested in 1936.

This opens the possibilty (unlikely, but...) that Domenico did not naturalize in 1922 after all. You should continue to seek his naturalization documents and also try to confer with an expert archivist who may be able to offer an explanation.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 14:46

I am going to the county clerks office today and will make a trip over to the national archive office...wish me luck!!
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 16:30

I think great news. At the county clerks office I was able to get the petition/intent and naturalization certificate from 1922... The good news is that attached to all of that is a letter from the Supreme Court of New York asking the US Attorney General to cancel the naturalization granted in 1922 to Domenico
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 17:12

Mbmal wrote:I think great news. At the county clerks office I was able to get the petition/intent and naturalization certificate from 1922... The good news is that attached to all of that is a letter from the Supreme Court of New York asking the US Attorney General to cancel the naturalization granted in 1922 to Domenico

This is all very strange. Perhaps they determined that his original citizenship was granted improperly.

I agree, I think there is now great hope that he was not naturalized until sometime in 1936 or beyond.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 17:42

The national archives do not hold those records and they think they may have granted the son citizenship from when the father was originally naturalized....I think if that is so I may have an argument against especially since he wasn't here for 5 years until 1926 and then 23 years old
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 18:19

I think your argument is that apparently Domenico's naturalization was determined to be invalid for some reason or another. Ideally, you will find that he (Domenico) submitted a second time - in 1936 - and was granted citizenship then.

I know this will take some time, but you may need to go back to USCIS and order full index searches for both Domenico and Sebastiano. I feel that your chance for a successful outcome has risen a great deal based on the information you have obtained in the last few hours.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 22:15

Don't think Domenico did reapply but I will put through the request.
I have read a law that if someone's naturalization has been cancelled then that cancels all naturalizations derived from that one...the saga continues!
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Mar 2011, 22:53

I think you have had a good day. Ultimately, you may learn that Sebastiano's request for a certificate was denied because his father's certificate had already been cancelled.

The next question then would be, did Sebastiano go ahead and seek naturalization in his own right?
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby Mbmal » 01 Mar 2011, 23:20

I would guess that he did only because he obtained a us passport and a social security #
Mbmal
Rookie
Rookie

Next

17 posts • Page 1 of 21, 2

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship