Grandfather's name change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Grandfather's name change

Postby heidebock » 02 Mar 2011, 15:21

Hi everyone,

My grandfather's first name was Attilio, but he began going by Anthony later in life. His birth certificate reads "Attilio John Bruno", 1910 - 1920 census, etc. HOWEVER, all of his later life events (marriage, death, children's birth certs, etc) read Anthony J. or Anthony John.

We received a certified copy of his Birth Certificate, as well as a certified copy of "an affidavit to correct a record" which shows the name change from Attilio John to Anthony John.

My question is: will this be enough for the consulate? Is it acceptable? It clearly shows that he changed his name and effectively ties together the difference in the Birth & later records. I've read many stories of people having to go change original records - is it necessary if I have the affidavit of name change? Would I need to get it translated, etc?

thanks in advance!

Erik

heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Grandfather's name change

Postby heidebock » 05 Mar 2011, 18:00

Does anyone have any experience with this? Hello?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Mar 2011, 18:19

You should be fine with the certified affidavit to correct a record. You will most likely need to have it apostiled and translated as with your other documents.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Postby heidebock » 05 Mar 2011, 20:16

johnnyonthespot wrote:You should be fine with the certified affidavit to correct a record. You will most likely need to have it apostiled and translated as with your other documents.
Thank you, Carmine!

ariaangelina

Postby ariaangelina » 12 Mar 2011, 04:52

Talk about name change, my friend had to do something with name change, it was from New York, it took 10 months.

After it was changed, then it can be apostille. I think it depends on the consulate. some consulates are not nice or the people that work there are not consistent.

heidebock wrote:Hi everyone,

My grandfather's first name was Attilio, but he began going by Anthony later in life. His birth certificate reads "Attilio John Bruno", 1910 - 1920 census, etc. HOWEVER, all of his later life events (marriage, death, children's birth certs, etc) read Anthony J. or Anthony John.

We received a certified copy of his Birth Certificate, as well as a certified copy of "an affidavit to correct a record" which shows the name change from Attilio John to Anthony John.

My question is: will this be enough for the consulate? Is it acceptable? It clearly shows that he changed his name and effectively ties together the difference in the Birth & later records. I've read many stories of people having to go change original records - is it necessary if I have the affidavit of name change? Would I need to get it translated, etc?

thanks in advance!

Erik

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”