Request birth records from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JOHN08
Elite
Elite

Request birth records from Italy

Postby JOHN08 » 10 Mar 2011, 01:56

I have generated a standard form letter requesting the birth record of my grandfather - used Circolocalabrese.org. This website suggests enclosing a self-addressed, unstamped envelope. Also, enclosing no payment until they request it.

To me , it makes more sense to enclose some payment for the postage required for the reply for the information about the my grandfather's birth information. I would think that you would be more likely to get a timely reply with some postage payment enclosed with the request.

How much should be enclosed, 4 or 5 euro, with the request? Do I use a bank draft for the euro.

This request of going to Montoro Inferiore, Avellino, Campania, Italy.

Any input would be appreciated.

John

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Request birth records from Italy

Postby sceaminmonkey » 10 Mar 2011, 04:06

I would use an international reply voucher you can get them at the post office

rosel

Postby rosel » 10 Mar 2011, 04:49

I sent to Italy using a form letter last April and have not heard back. I sent a US postal order to cover costs. Might not be a good idea to send any money until they contact you. I am going to write another letter to them soon.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 10 Mar 2011, 04:52

from what I understand they are required by law to respond. it is not uncommon at all to never hear back from a commune. Check almost any thread on this forum and you will not be shocked to see someone say they havent heard back. best thing over all is to call them!!

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 10 Mar 2011, 05:06

I have received three documents from the Comune di Platania in Catanzaro. The first time, I sent a check and it was returned explaining that there is no charge for services from the Segreteria di Comune. I always get a response within three weeks.

My fiancess is impressed with how responsive they are in Italy and that they arn't ripping people off. He paid $42.00 for a delayed birth certificate created in 1941 from Oklahoma. When he used google maps to find the address listed on the BC, it turned out to be an old grave yard.

Wouldn't you think the authorities would check things out before they issue a delayed birth certificate? For sure, the record keeping in Italy is much better than in the USA.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 10 Mar 2011, 06:43

I have recieved letters and certificates from 6 different comune's and all were sent no money at all. I did include self addressed envelopes without postage, some were used and some were not.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 10 Mar 2011, 07:43

I second Drew's suggestion to include return envelopes, and it may be nice to include the international reply voucher/coupons as well (especially since you haven't received a response to your first request). You could also fax your request, if you know the number. If you don't get a response within a few months, then I would find someone who can speak Italian to follow this up with a phone call. If you know anyone in Italy who can do this, great...or sometimes you have to show up in person to get action! Every comune is different, so approaches will vary.

rosel

Postby rosel » 10 Mar 2011, 15:27

Thanks, I would love to go there in person but I don't speak any Italian so that wouldn't help me either. I would like to go for vacation next year or the year after and am going to start planning for it. I will try writing again. That is my job for today get my information together and compose a letter and get it translated. Then to search for an email or fax to send to them.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 10 Mar 2011, 22:14

If you want to go in person, you can. Just present your passport and driver's license. It would be nice to establish a rapport with the Comune. Then you will be able to communicate with them regarding your case. It doesn't matter that you don't speak Italian. You will be able to make yourself understood. There is always someone working in a Comune who speaks a little English. I found that many professionals in Italy speak some English but they are just a little shy about doing so.

rosel

Postby rosel » 11 Mar 2011, 19:04

Thanks, that's good to know. I did finish my letter and hope that will do it. I will be working on my Italian for next summer. I am discovering that I can read much of it but conversation is a whole other thing. I don't think I have to know too much to talk to them regarding what I need.

rosel

Postby rosel » 11 Mar 2011, 19:11

I forgot to say that I think that Italy keeps great records. In the online family history, I was able to trace ancesters back to the 1700's. Yet my greatgrandmother and her parents were born here in New York City and there is no record of their birth. You would think that NYC would be really on top of things, but no.

caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby caridimondo » 11 Mar 2011, 21:08

I faxed my letters to the commune of Campli in Abruzzo and they mailed me birth/marriage certificates within 2 weeks, free of charge. I don't know how other communes operate but I think you'd be okay just sending a fax request.

Anthony Babusci

Postby Anthony Babusci » 13 Aug 2011, 23:02

I received birth records from San Vincenzo (AQ) without sending any money. It did however take about 3 months but San Vincenzo is a very small commune and I'm guessing they do not have a large staff.

rosel

Postby rosel » 14 Aug 2011, 09:54

rosel wrote:I sent to Italy using a form letter last April and have not heard back. I sent a US postal order to cover costs. Might not be a good idea to send any money until they contact you. I am going to write another letter to them soon.

I mailed another letter and I emailed them and have still have not gotten a response. I don't speak Italian and I don't know anyone who does so not sure what my next step would be. Any ideas?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 14 Aug 2011, 15:38

You can find examples of letters (written in Italian) here:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... t1533.html

I found that a simple letter works well--at least in Napoli. I included a self-addressed envelope, but they didn't use it.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”