Do I qualify for citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bitabitabita

Do I qualify for citizenship?

Postby bitabitabita » 14 Mar 2011, 21:30

Hello,

I was born in Italy, but I have no other family from the area. Am I eligible for dual citizenship?

bitabitabita

Re: Do I qualify for citizenship?

Postby bitabitabita » 14 Mar 2011, 21:31

Just to clarify: No other family members were born in Italy. Only me.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 14 Mar 2011, 21:49

being born in italy does not automatically qualify you. there is a residency req that must be met etc. you need to reside there for three years

Through naturalization:
After 10 years of legal residence in Italy, in the absence of a criminal record, and with sufficient financial resources, a foreigner may naturalize as an Italian citizen. The residence requirement is reduced to three years for descendants of Italian citizens up to the second degree and for aliens born on Italian territory, four years for nationals of EU member states, five years for refugees or stateless persons, and seven years for the adoptee of an Italian national.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Mar 2011, 22:23

It is more complex. I am not in a place to provide details just now, but a person born in Italy og non-Italian blood and who resides in Italy continuously until age 18(?), may apply for naturalization at that time.

Something like that...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Postby ForzaItaliaPgh » 15 Mar 2011, 17:40

The most common way people on these boards are pursuing dual citizenship is "Jure Sanguinis" which is claiming citizenship by right of an Italian blood line. This would not seem to be the case for you. There are other routes, but they have more stringent restrictions.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”