Getting a birth cert from Napoli

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Getting a birth cert from Napoli

Postby sforza » 14 Mar 2011, 21:35

I've tried unsuccessfully to get my GGM's birth cert from Napoli. Tried both the Ufficio dello stato civile and the provincial archives. She's not in the direct line, but since I am missing her and my GGF's marriage cert, I'd like to have everything else. I'm not entirely sure she was born in Napoli (the city) - it could be ouside Napoli for all I know - I have no evidence of actual birthplace other than word of mouth from long-deceased relatives.
I'd like to confirm one way or another. If anyone has a name in the Ufficio dello Stato Civile in Napoli who I should write to, by all means let me know.
Also, I believe folks on this board have hired people to go to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile in person, and others on this board have done this kind of work. If you have information or are interested, please PM me contact info and rates.
Thanks!

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: Getting a birth cert from Napoli

Postby sceaminmonkey » 14 Mar 2011, 21:46

I had to get my GGF birth cert from Napoli commune. I was pretty sure he was born there bc my GGF's daughter my great aunt is still alive. the frist 3-4 times they told me no they didnt have it. I hired ricbru from this forum and he contacted someone in the commune who found it. I guess sometimes the workers cant make out these 100+ year old certificates at the commune. I highly recommend Riccardo bruno ricbru. he stayed on top of it. as for word of mouth being born in napoli who told you and what makes you think that? could be from a tiny commune outside napoli

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 14 Mar 2011, 23:09

Actually, that's true. My husband was born in a small comune outside of Napoli. He has two birth certificates; one says his birthplace was Napoli; the other gives it as the smaller comune.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 15 Mar 2011, 01:38

Yes, she could be from outside of Napoli. I sent some letters to Comunes in Napoli province with some meaningful concentration of the surname; haven't heard back yet. I'd like to confirm once and for all whether she was born the city or not. Since Napoli has ignored every letter I've written, I may have to hire someone to go check it out in person. I'm confident that my letters were sufficiently clear and included international postal coupons and self-addressed envelopes. This is the first comune that has ignored my requests.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 15 Mar 2011, 07:41

mler wrote:Actually, that's true. My husband was born in a small comune outside of Napoli. He has two birth certificates; one says his birthplace was Napoli; the other gives it as the smaller comune.

That's weird!
Could you post them for us, as a curiosity?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”