Questions re: dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Questions re: dual citizenship

Postby lorinigro » 15 Mar 2011, 20:12

I will be applying for dual citizenship through my GGF (along with my uncle and father, who will be applying through their GF). I have a few questions as this is quite a complex process!

1. If I have original documents (I have my GGF naturalization papers, my GF birth and GM death certs), do I still need to request certified copies of them?

2. I live in Albany, which falls under the Honorary Vice Consulate in Westchester, NY. Would I apply through there or through NYC, where almost all of my paperwork will be coming from?

3. I've started requesting the documents that I don't have and I already know there will be a discrepancy with my GM name (Maria-Marie) that I will have to get rectified. Should I wait to make an appointment until after I have all of my paperwork in order?

I'm sure there will be more questions to come. I appreciate any information that can help me on this journey!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Questions re: dual citizenship

Postby johnnyonthespot » 15 Mar 2011, 20:25

1) All documents with the exception of original naturalization certificates will be taken from you and not returned to you - ever. If you don't want to give up your originals, you need to order new, certified, copies in long-form. Also, all documents originating within the US will require apostiles and most states have a time limit on how old a document can be before it is unsuitable for apostile.

2) Vice Consulates don't do citizenship cases. You will have to apply in New York City. Appointments are way out in the future, you should consider making yours just as soon as you are certain of your plans to proceed.

3) Maria/Marie may not be a problem, especially if the person in question is not in the direct line. Is it safe to assume that your complete lineage is yourself -> father -> grandfather -> great-grandfather? If so, then don't worry too much about the certificates for spouses (except your own); NYC most likely won't even look at them.

On the other hand, if your lineage is yourself -> father -> grandmother -> great-grandfather, then I feel I must warn you that it is imperative that your father was born on or after January 1, 1948. Prior to that date Italian citizenship was passed only through the father.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lorinigro » 15 Mar 2011, 21:01

Yes, I am applying me-father-GF-GGF. I'll have to set up an appointment first so I know when to start collecting documents. Thank you!

lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lorinigro » 19 Mar 2011, 20:28

One more question - I'll be applying through NYC, as will my uncle who lives in Long Island. My parents live in NJ - would they be applying through Newark?

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 19 Mar 2011, 21:05

It depends. Some NJ counties use the Philadelphia consulate. Both consulates are good. In what county do they live?

lorinigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lorinigro » 19 Mar 2011, 23:55

Essex county

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 20 Mar 2011, 00:55

Newark it is! Nice consulate.