Success in SF (long post)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cyclista

Success in SF (long post)

Postby cyclista » 24 Mar 2011, 05:23

I recently received my letter from the SF Consulate confirming recognition of my Italian citizenship! Though I haven’t posted on this forum before, I have spent many hours here reading about other people's experience during the course of my research. The information here and on some other forums has been invaluable for me.

I used the 18 month wait for my appointment to do the research and documentation. I started with Ellis Island records, then census records, county recorder's records, etc. All four of my grandparents were born in Italy. After early research, it looked like it was best to qualify through my paternal grandfather.

After a NARA search turned up no record, I discovered my grandfather’s naturalization records in the Court records section of the Center for Sacramento History. I got certified copies from the wonderful Archivist there, which proved essential, since the federal USCIS search documents didn’t come until much later.

My grandfather’s first name and date of birth were consistent across documents, but I found out that his last name had been changed twice from the original family name in Sicily to our current surname (a one letter change each time). There was no official record of name change. His preliminary papers had his original birth name on the application, but he signed with his second surname. Later he adopted the third surname, which I have. A family member told me that they were told this had happened through the school system changing the name of the oldest children, perhaps because they didn’t speak English.

I eventually decided to file an amendment to his death certificate by adding AKAs for each last name.

There were name discrepancies on my grandmother's documents as well. Even though I was not qualifying through her, I filed an amendment to her death certificate to correct those errors.

There were also major problems with my father’s birth certificate, including incorrect date of birth and name errors. I became very disheartened by all of these name problems.

The key discovery was finding an old copy of his birth cert. in a safe deposit box. It included a second page amendment from 1942, correcting the errors, which had been missed when I got my first certified copy. I returned to the Recorder to get the full version. This turned out to be the only document I had that showed there was a link between my father's birth surname (the second family name) and our current surname. This along with the naturalization papers was my best hope to prove the connection between the three surnames.

I was not very confident at the time of my appointment because of these name issues, especially because the amendments I filed had still not arrived at that time. But the application was accepted, and I was even allowed to present the documents for my son and daughter (who worked with me in the research process) though they were 18 and 22 at the time.

I was told to expect letters of recognition in about 9 months. In fact they came in about 7 months. Next, we will start the process for my wife.

We are all so happy at this outcome! Thank you to all who have contributed to this site.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Success in SF (long post)

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Mar 2011, 11:27

That is great news; congratulations!

No chance you and your wife married before April 27, 1983, I suppose?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

cyclista

Postby cyclista » 24 Mar 2011, 16:30

No, we were married in 1985. My understanding is that I will have to write to the comune to ask for the estratto per riassunto, and then proceed with back ground checks, etc.

Is that correct?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Mar 2011, 16:49

cyclista wrote:No, we were married in 1985. My understanding is that I will have to write to the comune to ask for the estratto per riassunto, and then proceed with back ground checks, etc.

Is that correct?

Yes. Go to http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/C ... tadinanza/ and click the "Information on Italian citizenship through marriage" near the top of the page. It will try to open a Word document; if that doesn't work for you (like, if you don't have Word or a Word viewer) let me know and I can email you a pdf or other version.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jgenduso » 25 Mar 2011, 00:26

Congratulations. I have my appointment in 1.5 weeks in SFO and am hoping for a similar result.

Thank you so much for posting, it really helps to hear about the SFO successes,

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily

cyclista

Postby cyclista » 25 Mar 2011, 06:12

jgenduso wrote:Congratulations. I have my appointment in 1.5 weeks in SFO and am hoping for a similar result.

Thank you so much for posting, it really helps to hear about the SFO successes,

Joseph
Thank you. And I hope your appointment goes just as well.
I think the SF Consulate is very fair and reasonable.
Buona fortuna!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”