Applying after a nephew has received citizenship.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Applying after a nephew has received citizenship.

Postby NOLATom » 12 Apr 2011, 00:20

Hi Everyone,

While going through my own citizenship process, I told a friend, who is also of Italian decent, how I gained my citizenship. He is a few years away from retirement and read in a magazine recently that Italy was a great place to retire to for various reasons. He now wants to pursue citizenship. He said his nephew travels Europe and had already gained Italian Citizenship through jus sanguinis and wants to know what he has to do to gain his. Has anyone done this through the Detroit consulate? I imagine there should be nothing to his case. He would just need to send off for the documents from Italy that were already registered in his ancestors commune????

Thanks,
Thomas

mler
Master
Master

Re: Applying after a nephew has received citizenship.

Postby mler » 12 Apr 2011, 13:08

Most of his ancestor's documents would be the same as those of his nephew, so it may be fairly easy if his nephew also applied at the Detroit consulate. He should explain the situation to the consulate and ask them what additional documents would be required. Detroit is a good consulate with which to work.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”