Documents?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
msilingo

Documents?

Post by msilingo »

My husband's grandfather came to the United States somewhere around 1902 but didn't file for his naturalization papers until March 31, 1939 at the age of 53. Not sure why he waited so long but we believe it was because he changed his name around 1910.

Does anyone know what type of legal papers he would have needed? I'm trying to figure out what his name really was
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Documents?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Many Italians rushed to become US citizens during the lead-up to WWII when, you may recall, Italy started out allied with the Nazis.

Have you obtained his naturalization papers yet? Both the Declaration of Intent and the Petition for Naturalization include a section which says, "I entered the United States on [date] aboard the ship [ship's name] under the name of [person's name as it appeared on manifest].
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
msilingo

Post by msilingo »

Where can I obtain his naturalization papers from? Ancestry .com shows his name and date only.
vehood

Post by vehood »

The County in the State that he lived in at that time should have the paperwork....If NOT and if the local historical society do not have them...Then the State Archives will have them. To find truth...You will need to dig....& documentation IS the only proof.