Apostilles/Amendments

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Apostilles/Amendments

Postby Squigy » 22 Apr 2011, 01:13

Okay, I'm planning a trip up to PA, hopefully for the 1st week of May. While I'm up there, I'm going to get ALL the documents I need, and kill a lot of birds with one stone.

I won't be getting apostilles till, later, however. What do I need to do to make sure all my documents are approved for apostilles? Also, can I send multiple documents to at a time to be apostilled (I'm thinking I'll send half the documents once I move to TX, and the other half a month later)?? What should my request to the apostille office say, meaning, how should I word my letter?

I also want to get all my amendments out of the way when I'm up there. So far, it's just my GG grandparents marriage record. I want to change his name from Joseppe to Giuseppe Maietta and her's from Jennie D'Andy to either Giovannina D'Andrea or Jennie D'Andrea. What proof will I need to provide to get this done?

Anyway, after that all I need is translations and my GG grandfather's Italian birth cert. I order his nat. record, HOPEFULLY that (and his birth cert.) will get here before I leave for TX, I'd hate to forward it all that way.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Apostilles/Amendments

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Apr 2011, 01:25

See http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/serve ... ents/12630 for answers to many of these questions.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 22 Apr 2011, 01:27

johnnyonthespot wrote:See http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/serve ... ents/12630 for answers to many of these questions.

Thanks, Carmine. I'll print that out and bring it with me.

Do you know what kind of proof is generally required before a document can be amended? Does the amendment take place in the court house?
My Italian surnames:

NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLATom » 22 Apr 2011, 04:00

I imagine that because this is your GG Grandparents you are talking about, then they likely have already passed away. If so, you can't just walk into a court and get this amended. You will need to petition the court first, after which they will assign a date for a hearing and then you will go before a judge with your offers of proof. This is not something you can just show up and do on a day passing through town.

You will definitely need your GG grandfather's birth certificate prior to going and hopefully the last name will match. There was a post on here prior to the site revamp that had a case where a women did go to court in PA to get the documents amended and she detailed her experience. Here is a link to her story on another site.

http://www.italiamerica.org/id75.htm

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 22 Apr 2011, 04:52

I was afraid of that.

That's really a pain. I'm only going to be in PA for three days, and after that I'm moving to TX and won't be able to visit again for god only knows how long. I won't be able to make a court date in PA.

Okay, here's my situation. On the marriage record, Giuseppe and Giovannina are listed as Joseppe Maetta and Jennie D'Andy. BUT, on the part that asks for signatures, Giuseppe signed his name correctly (Giuseppe Maietta). On all other American records, I'm guessing both of them will be listed as Joseph Maietta and Jennie D'Andrea (her surname was D'Andrea). My question is, is it absolutely necessary to change the marriage record, or will the Consulate (Houston) understand these were just anglicized form of their names (a LONG shot, I know, especially with D'Andy/D'Andrea).

Also, will I have to change all American records that list Giuseppe as Joseph (most to all probably will) to Giuseppe?

What is the easiest way through this? I'm getting anxious, now, it looked like everything was going so smoothly! :?

Oh, yeah, and one more thing. His birth year (the date is correct) is off by TWO years on his marriage record (it says 1881, but his birth cert. says 1879!). It's off by one year (again, correct date) on his nat. record, too!!

Now I'm getting worried!!
My Italian surnames:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”