Finding someone who chnaged their name

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Finding someone who chnaged their name

Postby lbernard3 » 25 Apr 2011, 21:57

My g-grandparents immigrated to the USA in 1901. On the ship manifest, they said they were coming to see an "Uncle Filippo." In Pennsylvania, they lived with a man named Philip Bowers who said he was Italian on the 1910 Census. He was also on the 1900 Census living with his wife Roser Bowers. They continue to live with him in the 1920 Census, he sold them his property (2 pieces) for only $1 each, and he is the godfather of all of their children. Clearly he is an important person to the family.

"Bowers" doesn't seem very Italian. So in my research, I have found a Filippo Bavusi and Rosaia Robilotta immigrating in the years that Philip and Rose said they immigrated. But there is no Philip Bowers immigrating from Italy. My grandmother is a Robilotta and the Bavusi/o name has a strong family connection back in the Italian records with my family. It seems to make sense that they are the right people, but how can I be sure? Where can I look to see if they changed their names? Does anyone have any ideas for a course of action for me to follow?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You.

Lou
Researching family surnames are Bernardo/Robilotta from Gallicchio, Basilicata.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Finding someone who chnaged their name

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Apr 2011, 22:28

1) You can research naturalization records. Not certain of the exact dates, but if he naturalized 1912 or later, he would have had to state when, how, and under what name he arrived in the US.

2) The land records may have been processed under his "real" name. Inquire with the Pennsylvania authorities regarding how to research those records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lbernard3 » 26 Apr 2011, 02:09

Thanks -
I have been unlucky with both of those approaches. I can't find him in the Nat. records, and I have the property deeds, but he is using the "Bowers" name. Thank you though.

Lou

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 26 Apr 2011, 07:31

Searching old newspaper articles online might help, too. I was trying to find a family with the last name of Pietrandrea, and discovered that they had changed their name to Peters - found an obituary in an old newspaper that mentioned the change in names.

lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lbernard3 » 26 Apr 2011, 22:50

I have looked thru many of the newspapers around the area and it seems no obituaries were ever written for him or his wife. Thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Apr 2011, 00:10

The 1900 census indicates that Phillip Bowers began the naturalization process ("Pa" - first papers filed). By the time of the 1910 census, he was a naturalized citizen ("Na").

If he completed naturalization prior to September, 1906 (likely), then USCIS will not have copies of the records and the National Archives will probably not have them either. You do however have the option of contacting the state and/or couty court for Cambria County, Pennsylvania as this is most likely where the naturalization was processed.

You have the great advantage of knowing his year of birth, his wife's name and year of birth, as well as his exact residence both immediately before and after naturalizing. I think you have a very good chance of being able to obtain these records.

You can start here http://www.co.cambria.pa.us/Pages/ClerkofCourts.aspx

and here http://www.co.cambria.pa.us/Pages/OpenRecords.aspx

That is what I would do. :D
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lbernard3 » 27 Apr 2011, 00:33

Fantastic. I appreciate the info. Thank you. I will let you know how it goes.

Lou

lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Finding someone who changed their name

Postby lbernard3 » 01 May 2011, 16:28

I was able to find complete naturalization records indexed for the county. He is not listed - bummer - so unless he petitioned somewhere else or the name is misspelled-that seems to be a wash.

http://www.pennhighlands.edu/library/Ge ... ation.html

I did however find another link to some more obits. There is a Philip Bowers in there-so I am hoping it is him.

Thanks for you help, I will keep you updated, if you are interested.

TY-
Lou

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 May 2011, 16:59

lbernard3 wrote:Thanks for you help, I will keep you updated, if you are interested.

TY-
Lou

Yes, I am interested and hope you will keep us informed of your progress.
Carmine

lbernard3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lbernard3 » 15 May 2011, 05:27

Well, I rec'd the obituary. It says he was Italian, and it most likely is the man I am looking for. There was very little info. in the obituary, other than his age and that he was Italian, but there is no concrete proof that he is the Philip I am looking for. Yet. Now that I have a date of death, I will be sending for a death certificate and see if there is any info on it.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 May 2011, 14:16

lbernard3 wrote:Now that I have a date of death, I will be sending for a death certificate and see if there is any info on it.

One clue at a time... Sometimes that is the only way to get from point A to point Z.
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”