2nd LA question, about Maternal line

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phil100a
Rookie
Rookie

2nd LA question, about Maternal line

Postby phil100a » 04 May 2011, 11:43

My niece is applying through her mother; her mother's grandfather immigrated in 1907. I just went through the process in San Francisco (great Consulate!), and received approval early this year. Thus, I assume my niece would qualify through her mother (my sister) as well. Correct?

My question: I was slightly thrown off by the LA listings of "Paternal", when listing documents. I think this simply means "Paternal line", no?

So, my niece's line would be mother-gf-ggf. Sorry for asking such a simple question; I just want to be sure that there is no restriction that would disqualify my niece. (my sister was born in the mid-50's)

Thanks in advance!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: 2nd LA question, about Maternal line

Postby johnnyonthespot » 04 May 2011, 13:55

The consulate web sites use a lot of generic language; don't worry about the paternal reference.

Italian women had many fewer rights prior to the implementation of the post-war constitution on January 1, 1948. Before this date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the male line. The question is not when was your sister born, but when was your niece born; obviously that was well after 1/1/1948, so no issue there.

By the way, your niece may find that she will need only her own and her mother's documents, along with the reference to your case number at the San Francisco consulate. She should inquire before making her appointment; we know of several consulates that permit - even encourage - this format. Try sending an email to cittadinanza2.losangeles@esteri.it
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”