Another query - this time re. surname spelling

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
matei

Another query - this time re. surname spelling

Postby matei » 05 May 2011, 15:24

My second post within an hour (actually a few minutes)!

Just curious if the spelling of my surname, which is totally different to that of my parents, will be an issue. It is essentially the same name, however it is the Irish spelling. My parents use the anglicised version.

It is my legal surname, I didn't just start using it out of the blue - it is on my birth certificate, passport etc.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Another query - this time re. surname spelling

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 May 2011, 15:28

matei wrote:My second post within an hour (actually a few minutes)!

Just curious if the spelling of my surname, which is totally different to that of my parents, will be an issue. It is essentially the same name, however it is the Irish spelling. My parents use the anglicised version.

It is my legal surname, I didn't just start using it out of the blue - it is on my birth certificate, passport etc.

If you mean that your birth certificate gives your name as "Smith" and your father's name as "Smyth" and all of your father's and other ascendants documents use the "Smyth" spelling..., then I believe you will be okay.

If on the other hand, your birth certificate uses Smith for both your own and your father's surname, but all other documents of your father and ascendants use Smyth, then that will be a big issue.

Please explain further.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

matei

Re: Another query - this time re. surname spelling

Postby matei » 05 May 2011, 18:46

The situation is something akin to my father's surname being spelled as "Brennan", and mine as "Braonáin" on my birth certificate (and other personal documents), and all of the subsequent documents show my father and other ascendants as "Brennan".

It isn't too uncommon to have both Anglicised and wacky Irish spellings in the same family.

(ovviamente my mother is the Italian!)

Thanks!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”