Surprise Middle Name on NYC birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Surprise Middle Name on NYC birth certificate

Postby williamsburger » 15 May 2011, 01:56

I just received the final document necessary to file for my citizenship in New Jersey, only to hit a snag.

My grandmother's NYC birth certificate, from 1924, lists two middle names that do not appear on her marriage license, her death certificate, or my mother's birth certificate.

Will this be something that the New Jersey authorities could use to scuttle my application? If so, would it be easier to change her birth certificate, or her marriage license and death certificate? I've already had to make corrections to my mother's birth cert, so that's easy enough to take care of.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Surprise Middle Name on NYC birth certificate

Postby sforza » 15 May 2011, 03:01

First, do the marriage license, death cert and daughter's birth cert have any middle names for her? It will not be an issue if she is born with a middle name (or two, as the case may be) that disappears. It will be an issue if there are different middle names in the latter documents. All of my direct line ancestors had two middle names that they replaced with a single confirmation name. I've been amending out those confirmation names and putting back in the legal middle names that they never used. So if you have conflicting middle names on her certs, In my view, it is not an option to change her name on her birth cert - it's the determinative document. You will have to amend the marriage license and death cert. If there's no conflicting middle names, then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 16 May 2011, 17:51

Sforza, you are the greatest! I just looked at the relevant documents, and here's the situation as it appears:

GM's birth certificate: two middle names listed
Grandparents' marriage license: two middle initials listed
Mother's birth certificate: one middle name listed
Parents' marriage license: GM's name listed without middle names or initials
GM's death certificate: GM's name listed without middle names or initials

Based on what you've said, then, I should be fine if I have my mother's birth certificate amended to list my grandmother's full name. (Of course, I did just have this document amended for another correction, but what can you do?) Is that correct?

Thanks so much.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 17 May 2011, 12:37

Yes, definitely amend your mother's birth cert.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”