How long of a stay in Italy to "establish residency"

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
GinaLinares

How long of a stay in Italy to "establish residency"

Postby GinaLinares » 17 May 2011, 05:50

I was told by the Miami Consulate (yes Miss Virginia....great polite helpful lady) that my next step is to go to Italy in the next 12 months and "establish residency"......well it sounds easy enough.....but knowing how other countries work and after reading enough posts here I know it won't be a matter of just days. She gave me some papers to take to the comune and sent documents there via email.
Can anybody that has gone to Italy to do this, tell me how long will it take?? Will the comune know what I'm trying to do ?? Should I buy my airplane ticket for 2 weeks ?? one month??
THANK YOU
GINA

mler
Master
Master

Re: How long of a stay in Italy to "establish residency"

Postby mler » 17 May 2011, 12:34

I take it that you are reacquiring citizenship lost through naturalization. From what I've read, I doubt it takes more than one month. Report your residency immediately upon arrival and, at that time, indicate that you wish to reacquire citizenship. It may take a month or several weeks, depending on your comune, for officials to actually confirm your residency, and this is the step that takes a bit of time.

You may want to do a search on the expatsinitaly.com forum. Several people have gone through and explained the process on that site; and their experiences may be helpful.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 17 May 2011, 12:42

I believe there is quite a difference between residency and citizenship.
You may be resident in Italy and be a US citizenship.
After a certain amount of years (I believe 5 if you belong to the European Community, 10 years, in the other cases) that you are resident you may ask to obtain the citizenship.
Obviously if you have the residency in Italy you have to pay the Taxes to Italy...

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 17 May 2011, 14:19

I would also recommend reading about tax implications in the money subsection on expatsinitaly.com. I'm no expert, but perhaps taxes may not be a concern for you - unless you are planning to reside in Italy permanently (or more than 6 mos?), and you plan to work after reaquiring your citizenship. It can be confusing.

GinaLinares wrote:Can anybody that has gone to Italy to do this, tell me how long will it take?? Will the comune know what I'm trying to do ?? Should I buy my airplane ticket for 2 weeks ?? one month??
THANK YOU
GINA

Just to add to what mler has already mentioned...every comune is different, and processing times will vary. Some are experienced with processing the papers, and others are not. Bigger cities may take longer than smaller comunes, too. No one can say with certainty how long, but if you choose the right location, one month IS a possibility. I wouldn't buy a return flight that gives you only 2 weeks to complete the process though. Is it possible to buy a ticket that you can change without paying a penalty? Read everything that you can about the process before you touch ground - it will save you time in the long run. Be prepared. Have a great time and good luck!! :D

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 May 2011, 16:20

Just to add to the fray,

If I understand correctly, "residenza" is more than simply showing up in a town as you would in the US. In many comuni, you must present a registered lease, often one or more years duration, in order to prove that you are truly resident in that comune. I don't think you can claim a hotel room as an address for residenza purposes.

One common way around this requirement is to "move in" with a friend or relative. As touched on above, after you alert the Uffici Anagrafe of your intentions and fill out the necessary forms, they will send the vigili (police) around for an unannounced visit to the address you provided to ensure that it is a legally acceptable place of residence and that you truly appear to be living there (they may ask to see your clothing and other personal effects, your bedroom, etc). This visit may come the day after you apply, a week after, or even more. If you are not present when the vigili arrive, they will put you back on the schedule and show up again, unannounced, at a later date.

More than likely, your best results will probably be in your ancestral comune, especially if it is reasonably small and if you can find a realtive who will permit you to move in with him/her for a period of up to a few months.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

GinaLinares

Postby GinaLinares » 18 May 2011, 02:51

Thank you everybody for your ideas and input.
I have relatives in my ancestral comune where I can live with them during this stay.
Yes I am trying to complete one of the steps necessary to regain my Italian citizenship.
I was born with it because my father was Italian when I was born, but lost it when I became USA citizen.
I have turned in all documents at the Miami Consulate and was told one of several other steps is "establish residency" in Italy....(I did not ask the consulate how long they think this process will take)
I have to send the $200 Euros also.
I understand that residency and citizenship are 2 very different things !!
I will continue to research this and will post when I find more info to help others.
Gina

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”