Belmonte, Mezzagno

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Belmonte, Mezzagno

Postby Naples13 » 18 May 2011, 02:45

I am trying to find more information on my grandmother's real father, Giovanni LaRosa. In his Manhattan marriage certificate of 1901, he is listed as 29 and his parents are Gugliclino (sp?) and Angela (Buttacavoli) of Belmonte. Are there other ports that can be looked up on line the same way Ellis Island & Castle Garden are? Oddly enough, They were married in Manhattan and it seems I found him just before in the 1900 census in PA! But then he vanishes and by 1908 his wife Maria (Peraina) is remarried to Alessandro Gambino in NY.
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Belmonte, Mezzagno

Postby liviomoreno » 18 May 2011, 07:24

Naples13 wrote:I am trying to find more information on my grandmother's real father, Giovanni LaRosa. In his Manhattan marriage certificate of 1901, he is listed as 29 and his parents are Gugliclino (sp?) and Angela (Buttacavoli) of Belmonte. Are there other ports that can be looked up on line the same way Ellis Island & Castle Garden are? Oddly enough, They were married in Manhattan and it seems I found him just before in the 1900 census in PA! But then he vanishes and by 1908 his wife Maria (Peraina) is remarried to Alessandro Gambino in NY.

Guglielmo (William)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 18 May 2011, 18:49

What do you make of the first two lines on this 1911 manifest?

Line 2 was transcribed as Arcangela Paone.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giovanni Larosa
Name: Giovanni Larosa
Arrival Date: 26 Feb 1911
Birth Year: abt 1872
Birth Location: New York
Birth Location Other: New York
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: San Giovanni

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Naples13 » 20 May 2011, 02:30

Carmine,

Now I am baffled. I know I have Maria & Giovanni's Marriage certificate. And that they had my grandma Angeline in Manhattan in 1902 then in 1908 she is remarried and has kids with an Alessandro Gambino in western NY. If Giovanni did not die, could they have divorced?

Marcy
Researching surnames Nappo, Naples, Napoli, LaRosa, Sorrentino, Gambino. Also searching for info in Poggiomarino.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 May 2011, 14:26

It is difficult to say.

The first question which must be answered is, are these records all referring to the same person? Can you be certain, beyond any doubt, that the marriage record you found is correct? Can we be certain that the 1911 manifest is for the same Giovanni? La Rosa and its variant Larosa are very common surnames in Italy (currently more than 4,000 listings in the Italian telephone directory) and Giovanni is amongst the most common of masculine given names; it is critical therefore to ensure that we are not dealing with two or more different Giovanni's.

As for other possible explanations:

1) By 1911, Giovanni and his "new" wife were listed on the manifest as being "American" and, in the last column of sheet 2, the place of birth for both was New York, NY. They were going to 8 Prince Street in New York City, and then the addiditonal note concerning Pottsville, PA.

2a) An indelicate question: was your grandmother conceived out of wedlock? Perhaps Giovanni's first marriage was out of necessity.

2b) The 1911 Giovanni was born a US citizen; perhaps the marriage to Maria was primarily for the purpose of Maria earning US citizenship (citizenship through marriage was automatic back in those days). The child may have been an unintended consequence, Or, perhaps not.

3) We don't know how long the 1911 Giovanni was in Italy; it may have been a short vacation, or an extended multi-year stay. He may have left his wife Maria and the baby behind while he returned to Italy for some reason and never returned. These things happened..., and often the deserted spouse would eventually petition the court to have the missing spouse declared dead. This scenario is, in my opinion, more likely than a divorce.

4) (excuse me while I ramble on) On the other hand, the 1911 manifest says that Giovanni is 39 while his wife is only 19. Unless they met and married in Italy (possible), this seems to preclude the possibility that Giovanni had been in Italy for many years. More likely the marriage to Arcangela was in the US and fairly recent and they traveled to Italy soon after to introduce Arcangela to the family.

I am afraid there is just not enough here to draw any solid conclusions from. The 1911 Giovanni may or may not be the same Giovanni who was once married to Maria. It might be interesting (but worth the cost?) to try to locate birth and marriage records for Giovanni and Arcangela, both of whom were born in New York City and probably married there as well. You can calculate the year of birth for both and estimate the year of marriage.

Your original post did not say if the 1901 marriage certificate gives a place of birth for Giovanni. If it says "Italy", perhaps we can throw out this entire conversation.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Naples13
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Naples13 » 23 May 2011, 05:21

The marriage certificate states that he was living in Williamstown, PA. I went to the 1900 census for that area and found him, listed born 1871 in Italy.
The records you found list them as returning from father (in law) Guglielmo La Rosa in Belmonte. This certainly fits where previous passenger lists have him from & the marriage record shows as his parents.
Also, the 1920 census shows a Mrs. Angelina LaRosa widowed in Lawrence City, Ma. I am wondering if there was a state census in 1915 to narrow his death?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”