Translation of documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of documents

Postby Xaymara » 18 May 2011, 18:46

Would like to know if anyone has any experience dealing with the LA consulate and if they will accept a translation done by the applicant, rather than a professional translator. The consulate has a list of translators with the following disclaimer at the bottom of the page
The professionals listed are to be used only as a reference and not to be considered the sole providers of such services.

Here is the background: I am applying via my paternal grandfather. All my documents come from Puerto Rico (a US Territory) and are in Spanish, except for my grandfather's birth certificate (from Palermo) and my parents death certificate (from Atlanta, GA).

I speak Italian at an intermediate level and would like to do the translations myself aided by a friend of mine who also speaks English, Spanish and Italian. Before submitting my documents I will have an Italian native speaker check each one of the documents for possible errors. I'll be submitting the translations in the same format as the original.

So the question is: will the LA Consulate accept my translation?

Thank you,
Maria

Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Translation of documents

Postby Xaymara » 03 Jun 2011, 07:25

Xaymara wrote:
So the question is: will the LA Consulate accept my translation?

I'll answer my own question: On Wednesday I visited the Los Angeles consulate and I personally spoke with Monica about questions I had for which I couldn't find the answer on the consulate's website. About the translations, she said that I had to use a professional translator. When I mentioned that most of my documents are from Puerto Rico and in Spanish, she specified that I had to use any of the translators listed on the website of the consulate that has jurisdiction over the island (Miami).

I also asked her about some other issues I had. I'll post it here in case it helps anyone applying in the LA Consulate.

1. Name discrepancies: My grandfather's birth name was Edoardo, later changed to Edward and Eduardo. They will accept the English and Spanish versions as they appear on the documents.

2. Unable to secure a copy of the original marriage certificate of my grandparents, dated 1915. The Vital Records Office in P.R. only issues abstracts of such old documents. I was told that the consulate will accept it as long as it is a detailed abstract (with names and place of origin of parents of bride and groom) and contains all the information entered in the original certificate.

3. Lastly I mentioned that, per the instructions on their website, I could personally request an appointment to present my documentation and I wanted to do so at this time. She discouraged me from doing so by saying that it would take longer to process my appointment request and advised me to call Abtran.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”