need help finding an obit in Buenos Aires for Ital relative

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

need help finding an obit in Buenos Aires for Ital relative

Postby vintagegamer » 18 May 2011, 19:04

All,

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a relative from my Italian lineage whose family moved to Buenos Aires some time in the past. I was in regular communication with this relative, and they told me they were having some serious health issues and now I have not heard from them in 2 months.

I have been trying to locate a source for obits in the area but am not doing well with it. Can anyone help me out? I am really sad about this because I had just found out about this relative in January of this year, and now it looks like I may have lost them :(
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: need help finding an obit in Buenos Aires for Ital relat

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 May 2011, 14:55

I cannot help but wonder if Brazil is, like Italy, a place where obituaries are published only for the rich and powerful.

I clicked through a few of the newspapers listed here http://www.newspapers24.com/world-cities/buenos-aires-newspapers/index.html and did not find anything in the way of local obituaries.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 May 2011, 15:05

Here is a wild and crazy idea...

The mayor of Buenos Aires, Mauricio Macri, has a web site http://www.mauriciomacri.com.ar/ which includes a "Contact" (Contacto) page.

Write to the mayor explaining your situation and ask if his office can assist you. If he is a good politician, he will forward the request to whatever department might be able confirm or deny the possible death of your relative.

Can't hurt to ask, can it?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Postby vintagegamer » 23 May 2011, 19:47

Thanks guys for your input- I'm really disappointed that I can't find out what happened to this person. :(
Webmaster

'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site

www.giusvalla.blogspot.com

markk612

Postby markk612 » 29 May 2011, 04:32

Don't know if you speak Spanish or not, but the biggest Argentine newspapers are El Clarín and La Nación. You could try checking those out (maybe searching for your ancestors name in the "search").

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”