Americanized Names?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Americanized Names?

Postby williamsburger » 20 May 2011, 18:36

I know I've been posting a ton, but this forum has been really helpful in giving me the tools to iron out any wrinkles in my application before my appointment with the consulate in August.

One final question: my great-grandfather, whom I am using as my Italian ancestor, was born Bartolomeo. This spelling is maintained on all his records, except for my grandmother's (his daughter) death certificate, where he is listed as "Bartholomew." Should I bother getting this changed?

I have a similar problem with my grandfather, who is not in the line of descent but whose documents I have been collecting....His birth name was Luigi, but all his other documentation lists him as Louis.

Should I take care of either/both of these issues? I assume getting my grandmother's death certificate won't be a huge problem, as my mother is her next of kin and will sign the forms for me. I know that changing a name on a birth certificate can be sort of tricky, though, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to fix an ancestor that I am not even using for my application.

As always, your help is much appreciated!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Americanized Names?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 May 2011, 18:57

We don't think consulates pay much attention to death certificates; in fact, they are not technically required at all if you review the Italian law concerning jure sanguinis citizenship. Personally, my best guess is that the consulate wants to see death certificates so that they can decide whether the person in question needs to complete a "Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant" or if the applicant (you) needs to complete a "Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant" on his/her behalf.

Where are you applying? If in New York City or one of several other consulates, there is a much better than 50/50 chance you will not be asked for the birth or death certificates of non direct line persons such as your grandfather. This was the case in mid-2008 when I applied in New York and has been reported here by many other applicants as well.

As a general rule, my feeling is that you should fix whatever you can without spending huge sums of money (court orders and such). This will not only make your own application smoother, but you will also be doing a huge favor for your own children and grandchildren when they one day take up an interest in genealogical research. As an example, the document which you can easily amend today with your mother's signature may be extremely difficult or impossible to amend once your mother has passed on.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 20 May 2011, 19:07

Carmine,

You are certainly fast -- and knowledgeable!

I'm applying at the Newark Consulate, as my mother lives in New Jersey. I'm trying to circumvent any possible hang-ups that would require a second visit. I would rather do the legwork of visiting the NYC Department of Health and finding out what kind of changes I can make, then having to go to my appointment and hope that these sorts of tiny errors aren't noticed.

I guess I'll see go talk to the Corrections Unit to see how much of a stickler they'll be about changing my grandmother's death certificate with my mother's signature (she wasn't the next of kin at the time of my grandmother's death, but she is now that my grandfather has passed away). As for Luigi, though, I think I might as well just leave it.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 21 May 2011, 21:24

In my experience, it will be fine with your mother's signature, and probably yours too. I used my signature (rather than my father's) for amendments to my grandfather's birth and death certs, and it was not an issue.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”