Italian Army - Surname Gerandino

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Italian Army - Surname Gerandino

Postby ronph » 21 May 2011, 22:34

Does anyone know if there are records for the Italian Army in the early 1800s? My great great great grandfather was Antone Gerandino. He came to Texas in the mid 1800s. Before coming to Texas he lived in Switzerland. I was told by a source that he was a member of the Italian Army before moving to Switzerland. His son Joseph Gerandino was my great great grandfather, Joseph was born in Switzerland about 1835. I was hoping to find a military record for Antone Gerandino. If anyone knows any resources please let me know.

Ron Hesdorff

Re: Italian Army - Surname Gerandino

Postby suanj » 22 May 2011, 11:06

I read all the posts on the web abt your surname...

I am positive that the surname is Genardini right spelling; surname of italian Ticino in Switzerland, and especially of Verzasca valley, the communes in this valley are:
Mergoscia, Vogorno, Corippo, Lavertezzo, Brione Verzasca, Gerra Verzasca, Frasco and Sonogno..
however it is possible that they coming from some other commune no far...

the Genardinis immigrated in USA I know that coming from Gordola town and Sonogno town especially...
abt Sonogno it are the genealogic trees on line ( as a well some family of Gordola also)

maybe you can search as a well contact by email asking a free search; it is also possible that your ancestor coming from some other commune, but I am very positive that the surname is Genardini and the birthplace is some Commune of Canton Ticino, Switzerland...
Visit my website:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”