SWAP APPOINTMENT IN NYC OR CHICAGO?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jessicagale1234

SWAP APPOINTMENT IN NYC OR CHICAGO?

Postby jessicagale1234 » 28 May 2011, 04:09

hello, does anybody have an appointment at either the NYC or Chicago consulates that they are willing to swap with me for instead of canceling? I am having trouble getting an appointment in JULY or AUGUST - and need to get in there because I have to establish EU citizenship for school ASAP! i figured i might go into the consulate in either location and just beg to see someone. i've spent a lot of time and energy compiling everything and the only way I can afford to go to school this fall is by completing this process (or getting far enough along the way that the school will recognize my citizenship). Thank you!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: SWAP APPOINTMENT IN NYC OR CHICAGO?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 May 2011, 18:49

How did you choose between Chicago and New York? Can you prove residence in both jurisdictions?

You may have a real problem with July and especially August as those are traditional vacation periods for Italians; in many areas government practially shuts down for the month of August.

Also to be considered, applications take time to process - anywhere from a few months to a year or more. However (and I am not 100% certain of this), once you have a valid application in process, you may be able to obtain a visa and ultimately a "Permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza" - a permit to stay in anticipation of citizenship or something like that.

Do you have any friends or relatives within the Detroit consulate's jurisdiction? Last I heard, you don't even need an appointment to present a jure sanguinis application there...

http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Ambasciata_Washington/Menu/Informazioni_e_servizi/La_rete_consolare/

Finally, you can always apply in Italy. There would be some added complexities, but it is done regularly. For help with that subject, you might try posting at http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/index.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jessicagale1234

Postby jessicagale1234 » 29 May 2011, 19:19

Hi!

Thank you for your suggestions.

I can prove residency in NY or Chicago at this point. I'm leaning towards the Chicago consulate if I am going to go through a consulate for a few reasons, realistically I'm hoping to get an appointment sooner there. I've contacted my italian relatives to see if they can contact their comune and assess what the wait time might be like there. I could attempt something perhaps in Detroit's jurisdiction, does anyone actually know what is required to prove that you are residing in that area?

I have looked into the permit to stay in anticipation of citizenship, this is precisely what I would like to obtain!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 May 2011, 11:47

jessicagale1234 wrote:Hi!

... does anyone actually know what is required to prove that you are residing in that area?

Generally speaking, a driver's license. If not available, then a bank statement and a utility bill (telephone, electirc, etc) showing your current address.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”