Need help with a reverse search

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
TPower5514

Need help with a reverse search

Postby TPower5514 » 30 May 2011, 01:52

Hi all,

I have been able to do much searching coming from Italy to the US, but is there anyway to do a reverse search if possibly family went back to Italy. Ellis Island only has 1 way to US...

If anyone knows of a site or a place to search I would appreciate it...please let me know.

Thanks,

Debbie :D

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help with a reverse search

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 May 2011, 04:52

Basically, no.

There are no known records of passengers coming into Italy or leaving the US for Italy.

In some comuni, you may be able to obtain a Certificato dello Stato di Famiglia (Certificate of Family Status - http://genealogy.about.com/od/italy/a/family_tree_2.htm) on which you may find notations indicating when a person left or returned to the comune. However, I don't think I have ever seen a post from anyone who successfully obtained this document from any comune. And I have read lots of posts (20,000? 30,000? 50,000?) on this and other boards. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

twylitemyst

Postby twylitemyst » 30 May 2011, 12:56

Hi Johnny,
I'm new here but hope I can help a little anyway.

Do you know the neame(s) of the relatives that may have returned to Italy? Or some dates, such as date of death or approximately when they returned? A little detective work is required. First, speak with your family, especially the older generations - they can be a fountain of information!

We knew my GGF returned to Italy from stories my GGM told my aunt's before she died in '71. More questions to her children (my G aunts and uncles) produced an approximate date - when she was pregnant with their 5th child. Knowing his birthyear gave us the year he returned.

If you know the area your family originated from in Italy it is a reasonable bet that any who returned went back to the same area. So start there. Contact the comune(s) requesting death certificates. You can also try asking for their "Certificata Residenza e di cittadinanza italiana" which is a document certifying the residence and citizenship of an Italian person. An Italian citizen taking up residence in Italy must file for this. I'm not sure ho long ago they started this procedure, though, so if your relatives returned a very long time ago there may be no resident registration.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
Jessamyn

TPower5514

Postby TPower5514 » 01 Jun 2011, 23:00

Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I will try different areas and see if I get any hits. I also have read gizillions of posts..lol

Debbie

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”