Letters of 'No Record" - Do they need apostilles?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Letters of 'No Record" - Do they need apostilles?

Postby ericataylor22 » 01 Jun 2011, 21:11

I am sure that letters of 'No Record' for naturalization purposes need to be translated into Italian for the consulate, but do they need to have an apostille? If so, how do I do that for National Archives, and US Immigration?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Letters of 'No Record" - Do they need apostilles?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Jun 2011, 17:10

ericataylor22 wrote:I am sure that letters of 'No Record' for naturalization purposes need to be translated into Italian for the consulate, but do they need to have an apostille? If so, how do I do that for National Archives, and US Immigration?

These documents are purely for the use of the consulate in determining your eligibility. As such and as far as I know, they do not require apostille or translation.

In practice, the only documents requiring apostilles and translations are those which will be forwarded to your ancestral comune for registration - direct-line birth, marriage, and death certificates. Even those consulates which request non-direct line birth and death certificates usually do not require apostilles or translations for them.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Steverino3006 » 03 Jun 2011, 16:23

ericataylor22 wrote:I am sure that letters of 'No Record' for naturalization purposes need to be translated into Italian for the consulate, but do they need to have an apostille? If so, how do I do that for National Archives, and US Immigration?

Since this is a Federal document, and Apostilles are provided by a state to validate a state official (including notaries, which are controlled by the state) I don't think it is even POSSIBLE to have it Apostilled.

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 03 Jun 2011, 16:38

Although I did translate my letters of no record found, the consulate did not ask for them. They were taken without apostille's as well.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Jun 2011, 16:49

Steverino3006 wrote:Since this is a Federal document, and Apostilles are provided by a state to validate a state official (including notaries, which are controlled by the state) I don't think it is even POSSIBLE to have it Apostilled.

Steve,

Actually is is both possible and necessary to apostille federal documents, although not required in this case.

Apostilles of federal documents are performed under the auspices of the United States Secretary of State, currently Hillary Rodham Clinton. See http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm

The only situation I can think of where this might apply (related to jure sanguinis matters) is in the case of a US citizen born abroad in which case a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" is issued by the US embassy or consulate having jurisdiction over the place where the child was born. I would imagine that this document would then require a federal apostille before it will be accepted by an Italian consulate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”