The importance of middle names?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aulus
Rookie
Rookie

The importance of middle names?

Postby aulus » 03 Jun 2011, 20:10

I just noticed for my father (direct line), the copy I have of his birth certificate doesn't have a middle name, the marriage license has just his middle initial, and only the death certificate has the middle name. Should I go through the trouble of getting these fixed? I am planning to apply at the SF consulate.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: The importance of middle names?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 03 Jun 2011, 20:35

These middle names which appear after the birth certificate were usually given either at baptism or are a Saint's name taken duing the Sacrament of Confirmation in the Roman Catholic Church. They are not a part of the person's legal name and, truthfully, should not be on the documents mentioned.

Some consulates are picky about this stuff; I don't know about San Francisco.

You can be proactive and make the corrections (personally, that is what I would do) or take a wait and see approach.

One reason I like to make corrections whenever possible is that I hope that someday one of my not yet born great-great-great-grandchildren will get interested in his heritage and, by making these corrections now, I will make his or her research go that much easier. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

aulus
Rookie
Rookie

Re: The importance of middle names?

Postby aulus » 03 Jun 2011, 20:54

Okay, just found out more information about this.

He wasn't given a middle name at birth or baptism; he chose it himself when he went into the service. Apparently at that time they would list "NMN" (no middle name) for people who didn't have one, so rather than have that he just chose one at that time and used it for the rest of his life. Probably it became a legal name change at that point (?) but I don't know I would be able to get a record of this (like I would if he changed it in a court).

So what is the proper correction here? Add the middle name to the birth certificate? Or remove it from the other documents? Or try to get an certified copy of the military records?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”