usual office hours for small comune

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corrado
Elite
Elite

usual office hours for small comune

Postby corrado » 05 Jun 2011, 03:58

Somehow the consulate (Chicago) approved my citizenship in 2009 but the papers never made it to the comune. I would like to call the comune and talk to the stato civile. If I do nothing, then nothing will happen. This is a limbo.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: usual office hours for small comune

Postby kontessa » 05 Jun 2011, 07:52

You may find official hours listed online if the comune has a website. You might also find a fax number that may come in handy if you want to fax them a request for documentation. Many are open in the morning around 8:30am, and then many close around 1pm for a break (reposo). Many re-open in the afternoon around 3:30 or 4:30, some have one day per week when they are not open after lunch at all, and others may have one day with extended hours.

Have you been given a letter of recognition or anything in writing from the consulate that your citizenship was recognized? I can't believe that you are being asked to take care of the paperwork dilemma with the comune...that's the job of the consular official! Is the comune generally responsive when you've had to deal with them in the past?

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 05 Jun 2011, 22:21

The comune has always been responsive, over and above the call of duty. They even called the next comune over to get birth extracts for me.

I visited the consulate here in chicago. I was told it would take 18 months, so I didn't bother them until we hit the 21 month mark. My appointment was in Aug 2009. When I went there a fortnight ago, they said 'oh you were approved in 2009 and the paperwork was at that time sent to the comune.' I talked to the stato civile on facebook and she said she never recieved anything. She said she just got a packae from Argentina that was dated 2009. There is some kind of lack of communication here. I need to tell her that it was sent in 2009 and please to ask to have it sent again. If I did nothing here nothing would happen. There is no process other than me bringing in my new foreign back act from the comune, otherwise the consulate just assumes everything went fine. sigh. In NY they send you a postcard to let you know the paperwork went to the comune, but not here in Chicago. I am 98% of the way there this is a small glitch.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 06 Jun 2011, 08:52

Well, it sounds like you have a great comune to work with! No doubt you'll have a resolution once the mix-up is sorted out. Good luck to you! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”