Random questions about dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Random questions about dual citizenship

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Jun 2011, 05:40

Well, one week to my appt! I have some questions though.

1-If I should get recognition do I get a letter first or a birth certificate?

2- When do you use your American passport and when do use your EU passport? I heard there can be some issues if you confuse the two.

3-Also, have you ever filled out paperwork for credit, loans, etc and they ask you if your a citizen of another country? I was told its best to not even mention dual cit. with Italy because we are American first and we will just confuse everyone. What are the guidelines as far as mentioning it or do you not mention it at all?

4-Will my EU passport and Italian birth certificate use my maiden name only?

corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Random questions about dual citizenship

Postby corrado » 06 Jun 2011, 05:49

4. The name they put on your italian birthcert. is your legal name. You can not shorten it change it or whatever. Wives to not take their husbands names. I suppose you can go to court and do a name change. Expensive.
3. Eu passport then arriving or leaving europe, american passport when you are areriving or leaving the usa
1. depends on your city. NY gives you a postcard and will assume that stuff gets recorded in italy. Here in Chicago you need the birthcert from your comune to get your passport.

3. don't know.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Jun 2011, 05:53

My legal name is my married name. But I thought they only used maiden names for women on documents

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Jun 2011, 06:32

DeFilippis78 wrote:My legal name is my married name. But I thought they only used maiden names for women on documents

In the Italian system, your legal name is forever and always the name which appears on your birth certificate and that is the name which will appear on the main page of your Italian passport. On page 4 of the passport, there is a space labeled "Cognome coniuge/Spouse's surname/Nom du conjoint" - your married surname will be printed there if and only if you make certain you request it. Using the NYC site as an example, see "Passport Issuance form for adults" here http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consolato_NewYork/Menu/In_linea_con_utente/Modulistica/. On the form, there is a section "Che venga aggiunto il cognome del marito - To add the married surname"

It is a good idea to have your married name printed there as a means to tie together your US legal name and your Italian name.

It is extremely difficult to legally change one's name in the Italian courts. I forget the details, but you have to prove extreme hardship, unlike in the US where you can change your name on little more than a whim.

New York used to mail a simple form letter which said, first in italian and then in english, "We wish to inform you that this office has forwarded your birth certificate to the Vital Statistics office in the City of ________________ for registration and your name has also been entered in the data base of this Consular office" and then invited you to make an appointment to come in for your passport. I understand the letter has been replaced by a postcard or even just an email.

I actually got into the whole passport thing a while back and contacted the EU authorities as well as most of the Italian consulates in the US. The EU wrote back and said very clearly that I could legally use either passport when entering an EU member state with the understanding that the applicable rules would apply; for example, if I entered on the US passport, then I would technically be illegal after a stay of 90 days.

All but one of the Italian consulates said essentially the same thing: that on a visit to Italy of less than 90 days, it did not matter which passport I used. Of course, this caused a huge uproar on another board where some people insisted that the consulate passport offices had no idea what they were talking about and that Italian law was supposedly clear on this point: you must use your Italian passport when entering or leaving Italy. I remain unconvinced but agree with the general point that, after spending so much time, effort, and money to have my Italian citizenship recognized, I am more than proud to use my new passport at every appropriate opportunity. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 06 Jun 2011, 09:26

Hypothetical. Suppose you are a dual citizen American/Italian. You live in Italy. You take a trip to the USA to go shopping (Euro buys a lot at dollar prices). If you return to Italy using your Italian passport, depending on what you purchased in the USA, you might be subject to customs duties. If you return using your American passport, you had every right to purchase those goods in YOUR country and you are allowed to travel with them as part of your luggage. So, yes, in this type of case I see nothing wrong with using your American passport, especially if you're living in Italy and paying Euro prices but your income is in US Dollars. Dual Citizenship does have it's advantages. As far as any uproar caused on another board, please remember that there are any number of non-Italian Americans living in Italy who are not entitled to an Italian passport and the privileges it offers. These people can be, at times, envious of the dual citizens they live amongst and might not hesitate to give erroneous information. Again, dual citizenship has it's advantages.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 06 Jun 2011, 13:21

Similarly, an Americen who travels to Italy and purchases a number of items, is eligible to obtain a refund of the VAT (value added tax), at the airport when he/she leaves the country. So the judicious use of your passports can save you money both ways.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Jun 2011, 16:46

So is it then what Corrado stated above: Use the USA passport when leaving and arriving in the States and use the EU passport when entering and leaving the EU territories?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”