Emigration from U.S. to Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Jelily

Emigration from U.S. to Italy

Postby Jelily » 10 Jun 2011, 01:50

My grandfather, Carlo Cafarelli, came to the U.S. from Manfredonia, Italy in 1911 with his wife and 2 of his children. He returned to Italy some time after 1920 (he appears in the U.S. Census living in Bristol R.I.) I think it was probably around 1922 that he decided to return to Manfredonia. I would like to find out the exact dates and ship name. He never returned to the U.S. and so was an unknown in the lives of the seven children he left behind and in the lives of his many grandchildren. I'd like to try to piece together what happened and why he did not return. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. I have tried Ancestry, Ellis Island, etc. I have only found his name on the ship's manifest when he came to the U.S.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Emigration from U.S. to Italy

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jun 2011, 02:05

Good luck!

Seriously, there are no known records with the information you are seeking. Other then trying to make contact with relatives in Italy who may have old personal records or diaries, you are probably at a dead end.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 10 Jul 2011, 06:24

Hi from another Cafarelli (by marriage), but with family roots in Baslicata. I found a couple other records on Ancestry that might be for your grandfather.

Naturalization index (1921) for a Charles Cafarelli living in Brooklyn:

http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... pid=245434

Passenger list record dated March 12, 1907, for Carlo Cafarella from Manfredonia giving destination as Bristol, CT. It also lists a brother-in-law Castriotti (?) where he's headed (I can't make out the full name and address, but maybe you can).

http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view. ... rella&st=g

There's a Carlo Cafarelli from Manfredonia on a July 20, 1905, passenger list who is headed for Providence and gives a brother-in-law Francesco Di Basio (?), but his record is crossed out. I don't know whether that means he was not permitted to enter at that time, but you may be able to find an explanation on Ancestry.

http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view. ... relli&st=g

You might see if you can locate a passport application for Carlo, though I don't see any listed on Ancestry. There are military and other records for people with variants of the name that might provide a lead. If you are certain that he returned to Manfredonia, you might also look for civil records there. Good luck!

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 11 Jul 2011, 19:34

You have hit on a raw nerve here Jelily, we would in many cases like to find out about the people who emmigrated to Italy, no immigraged to the usa. I figure that somewhere between 30 to 70 percent of the people went back. Since there are no records it is hard to know. The italian white pages is the place to start. Hopefully they went back to the same town, but they may not have.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”