Got my passport today!! 6/13- and a twist of.fate.....

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Got my passport today!! 6/13- and a twist of.fate.....

Postby JPMessina44 » 13 Jun 2011, 19:25

Hello everybody, got my Italian passport today, soooooo excited.

Last time I was in the consulate was back late April, where I was filling out my AIRE form and being officially recognized...since then I had ordered my paperwork (birth certificate, letter of recognition with AIRE, and all other docs that my comune sent back to me.

After 1.5 months of waiting for my passport schedule, I went in, filled out the application, got fingerprints done, gave them my passport photo (done via CVS) and 1 hour later I walked out with a brand new Italian Passport!! I was shocked cause I thought it wouild be sent in the mail, but turns out its done that day while you wait! I now have a US and Italian passport, and working on my schedule to get over there for vacation and to potentially buy an investment/vacation home! Yeah me...

Now the weird twist of fate....DISCLAIMER: THIS WAS NOT AT ALL PLANNED AND NOT REALIZED UNTIL I GOT HOME AND WAS LOOKING AT THE PASSPORT!!

I went thru my great grandfather, via Aci San't Antonio....I received my passport on June 13, 2011. My great grandfather, who I got my citizenship through, was born June 13, 1888. I got my passport on the day my great gpa was born and its the same guy that allowed me obtain this dream of mine....I know, weird!!

If that doesn't prove it was meant to be, then nothing does!!!

Thanks for everybody's support and guidance on this, and during this process. Great site, and I found myself recommending others to come on here, and get their citizenship, etc. Thanks so much again!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Got my passport today!! 6/13- and a twist of.fate.....

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Jun 2011, 20:08

And...

Exactly 123 years has passed between your great-grandfather's birth and the issuance of your passport.

Yep, easy as 1, 2, 3. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 13 Jun 2011, 20:30

Truly amazing to think about it, and the timing for this to line up perfectly, like it did.

Surprisingly enough, from start to finish was 8 months....I looking at EllisIsland.org and officially started this process on October 26, 2010.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 14 Jun 2011, 02:37

.....I went thru my great grandfather, via Aci San't Antonio....I received my passport on June 13, 2011. My great grandfather, who I got my citizenship through, was born June 13, 1888. I got my passport on the day my great gpa was born and its the same guy that allowed me obtain this dream of mine....I know, weird!!.....

Today, June 13, is the Feast Day of St. Anthony of Padua, the Patron Saint of Lost Things. Very appropriate that you received your passport on this day. Congratulations.

NOLATom
Rookie
Rookie

Postby NOLATom » 14 Jun 2011, 03:50

Hey JPMessina.

Congrats... and I know the feeling your are talking about.

Quick question. What did your birth certificate from Italy look like? I received a package a few weeks ago of copies of all the documents the Commune registered there. It's basically just an overly Xeroxed information page with terrible handwriting and a few mistakes, but I am told that this is the official documents, ie birth certificates. Is this anything like you received? My appointment for my passport is next month, so I guess they will tell me for sure when I show up, but I rather know before hand if I need to cancel my appointment.

Thanks for any input,
Thomas

JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Postby JPMessina44 » 14 Jun 2011, 18:04

I did receive a similiar document that is handwritten with the official stamp and signature.

But I also got 3 other documents, on Comune letterhead with the same signature and stamp...the other docs were:

1. Certificato di Cittadinanza (A.I.R.E)
2. "" " ATTO N. 12 PARTE 2 Serie B (Part 2)
3. Ufficio Di Stato Civile
4. Comune Aci Sant'Antonio - Servizi Demografici

Hope this helps.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 14 Jun 2011, 23:11

Great news Messina! Im happy for you!!!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”