Recent change?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Recent change?

Postby Donald66 » 15 Jun 2011, 23:51

The NY Consulate just informed us that our parents Florida marriage license must be sent to the Italian Consulate in Miami to be certified before they will accept it.

Is anyone familiar with this process?
We asked to which section of the Miami Consulate it should be addressed & were informed that we can just mail it to the Consulate and they'll know what to do???

Re: Recent change?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Jun 2011, 10:48

Donald, this is an interesting change.

It was perhaps two years ago when we first began hearing that some consulates were sending documents to the consulate having jurisdiction over the documents' origin for verification. In many cases, this additional processing was blamed for delays of months or more in total application processing time.

From your post, it sounds as though the NYC consulate is suggesting that the applicant should take care of this additional step on his own, before even submitting his application. In all honestly, this may turn out to be a good idea, possibly speeding up the overall procedure.

As to whether the Miami (or any other) consulate will simply "know what to do", I am not sure I would take that chance. Perhaps a cover letter stating, "The Consulate General of Italy in New York has requested that I send the enclosed document to your office for verification. Please return it to me at the address below at your earliest convenience."

Did NYC say where exactly to send the documents? I assume here:

Consolato Generale d'Italia
4000 Ponce de Leon, Suite 590
Coral Gables, FL 33146-1431

Possibly the Notary office?

I look forward to hearing how this process plays out. Please come back and post the details of your experience.

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”