NARA Petition for Citizenship Date Discrepency

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

NARA Petition for Citizenship Date Discrepency

Postby rjnigro » 16 Jun 2011, 18:42

A question of advice:

I will be presenting my documentation to the consulate in NYC in November. I will be applying via my paternal grandfather GF>F>Me I received my GF Estratto di Nascita (Accadia, Italy) showing DOB as 12 June 1898. I have had my GF Death Cert amended (NYC) to show day of death as 12 June 1898. I have had his certificate of naturalization certified by Dept of Homeland Security. It shows to date of birth. The Petition for Naturalization shows his birth day as 13 June 1898 (1 day off). The other identifying information on the petition (Accadia as city of birth/my father's name and my father's date of birth). Should I just go with it and see what happens or prepare something in advance?

Complicating factor: Via the Church of Latter Day Saints, I obtained a snapshot of the actual page from the Accadia, Italy Birth register: It shows the DOB as 13 June 1898, the date on the petition. So, I feel the estratto was incorrectly issued. If the consulate asks me to get a postivo/negativo letter, I feel this will come up as the date actually being the 13th of June 1898 ... Any advice?

Re: NARA Petition for Citizenship Date Discrepency

Postby kontessa » 16 Jun 2011, 21:56

Suggestion: I wouldn't pursue a positivo/negativo letter. I would either:

a) contact the comune in Italy and request a clarification, or another extract similar to what the book shows - the actual registration of birth (can't remember the name of the document). I would then take BOTH of these documents from the comune to my appointment. This is a one-day discrepancy, DOB and the date of registration of birth, but if you can produce both documents from the comune it may carry more weight in trying to explain the discrepancy in the nauralization record.

b)If you aren't able to obtain something from the comune, print off a copy of that LDS record and take this to your appointment! But take's NYC. Good luck. :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”