More Genealogy Sources?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

More Genealogy Sources?

Postby KarenChristino » 20 Jun 2011, 17:35

Help! After over a year and a half, I still haven't found my GF's birth certificate or baptism record. The 1905 NYS Census says he was 6 years old; all other records beginning in 1917 give a birth year of 1896. They lived on Mott Street and Hester Street in the early part of the century and everyone from the town went to that area of Manhattan as well. I've contacted all the local churches with no luck. I cannot find them in the 1900 Census (posted to this list last year, and only came up with a similar-named family). The people at Transfiguration and Most Precious Blood are already getting annoyed at me, I've called so many times. I've really been through the Municipal Arvices and online databases and found the family as far back as 1901 (they arrived in 1895). NYC Directories yielded no good results.

I feel I need to find a solid birth year. Are there other genealogy resources that I could check that might show where the family lived around 1900 so I could go back to the Census? Any other kinds of NYC records from the time? I read somewhere about Guilds or Aid Societies -- who/where are they? NYC public school records? (Seem to be not available.)

I would sure appreciate it if anyone could point me in a good direction!

Thanks,
Karen

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: More Genealogy Sources?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 20 Jun 2011, 17:51

Karen,

Can you bring us up to date on the census search?

Your GF's full name, his parents and siblings names and birth years, and where you found them in the 1905 census.

Sometimes a fresh start will turn up something missed in previous tries.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 20 Jun 2011, 18:24

Thanks, Carmine! He is Antonio Cristino, in NYS 1905 Census at 162 Hester Street. (I found this backtracking from the 1910 Census at same address.) Parents are Donato and Maria. The 1900 Census gives a Donato and Maria Christiano in Italian Harlem with a son Antonio. Interestingly enough, their name was actually Cristino since I got both the baptism record and the NYC B.C. but it is another family (mother's maiden name di Luglio rather than de Stasio and they were married in the U.S. -- a good example of the horrible errors in the Census -- one of their daughters was Arcangelica on her B.C. and I think "Mary" on the Census!)

I've been through MANY of the Little Italy streets nearby on the 1900 Census. My GGF's brother when he came over in 1900 gave an address for Donato of 54 Mulberry or similar, but no luck there (and quite a few of the people on the manifest page list that address as well, so I don't know what was going on).

I feel like the 1905 Census may be more accurate with birth year approximately 1899 since it's the oldest record I have. The 1901 B.C. for his sister listed her as Louisa Crestino and she was always (that we know) Elizabeth at 82 Mott Street.

I am certianly no longer fresh on this search!!

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 20 Jun 2011, 18:43

Forgot to mention -- older sister Rosa (later Rose) born Avellino 1892, other sister Laura born Manhattan maybe in 1898.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 22 Jun 2011, 23:29

Hi Karen,

I apologize in the case you already have this record, but what about this birth record from Ancestry.com?

New York City Births, 1891-1902
about Antonio Christiano
Name: Antonio Christiano
Birth Date: 23 Jul 1897
Birth Place: New York, New York
Certificate Number: 30463

or it is about the "other" Antonio?

Laura
Laura

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 23 Jun 2011, 02:40

Thanks, Laura, but that is someone else who is not even related. He was baptized at Most Precious Blood. I feel like I've gotten to know all of these guys! There is also one born 10/9/03 who is my GF's cousin. Just heard once again from Transfiguration Church who says they do not have baptism, communion or confirmation. Maddening.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”