Where to find marriage information

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vino_verno

Where to find marriage information

Postby vino_verno » 21 Jun 2011, 08:47

So I was looking into Dual Citizenship through my Great Grandfather. After already running into some problems (Anglicized name change, and it also appears as if he was the only one in his family not to become a Naturalized Citizen), now I'm finding it pretty impossible to track down a marriage record for him, or any documents for that matter that give any information as to where he may have been married.

I've checked with the county that he and his family lived in once they arrived in the US, and just as is the case with his siblings and their naturalization information, all of their marriage information is there except for my great grandfather's.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what other documents I could possibly look at to get a hint as to where he may have gotten married (or if he got married at all to my great grandmother)? All of the census information just gives a rough estimate at a marriage year, but no location. Not only do I need the marriage record for the citizenship process, but I also am at a lost when searching for his wife's birth certificate. So I was hoping a marriage record would give me her place of birth and help me find that as well.

Any help and suggestions would really be appreciated.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Where to find marriage information

Postby johnnyonthespot » 21 Jun 2011, 13:11

What year and state are we most likely talking about?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Jun 2011, 17:01

Some background at this post

Particularly the third paragraph of the third post :-)

topic22140.html

T.

vino_verno

Postby vino_verno » 21 Jun 2011, 18:01

Thanks for throwing in the link to the other thread, Tessa.

But since there are some really long posts over there that people may not want to go through, my great grandfather would have been born in 1903 and my great grandmother in 1910. The estimated year of marriage that I've gathered from looking at the 1930 Census would be from 1925 to 1927. That census only gives their age when they were married, but also the information they do have doesn't add up correctly. And my family stayed pretty close to the same area of Western Pennsylvania. They lived in Westmoreland County, and more specifically the city of Jeannette.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Jun 2011, 21:41

Hi Vernon,

I would agree that the marriage took place (according to the census data) about 1925-1927 :-)

Have you tried checking churches in the area in which they lived. Looks like Sam owned his own home. Probably wouldn't have gone far to marry. Check for churches in the area - even though there is family legend that they ran away to get married. Might take lots of letter writing, but you never know - and genealogy can be labor intensive :-)

Do you have a copy of their son's birth record? Looks like 1928-1929.
Might give some clues.

T.

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 24 Jun 2011, 02:44

Are there any of the local papers from the time that are digitized and searchable online? I think genealogybank.com has a lot of them. There may be a listing/news item on the marriage. I found out my grandparents' wedding date from the Church, but I already knew where they'd been married. Even so, NYC could not find the record (and some married in Catholic churches in the early part of the century apparently did not file with the city). I went through microfilms for the Brooklyn Eagle around that date but found nothing. Then my brother did a simple Google search and came up with a newspaper transcription of "Marriage Licenses" given by the city that included them, with date (from a Brooklyn genealogy site). With that I went back to the City and got the official record. More and more information is online and you may just luck out and find it that way.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”