Residency through Rep Office then 3 Years Eligible for Citiz

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Residency through Rep Office then 3 Years Eligible for Citiz

Postby grandpa77 » 26 Jun 2011, 05:38

Does anyone know how to become an Italian citizen by living in Italy for 3 years and then only having to prove you have Italian Parents or Grandparents ?

I looked into this program and contacted a couple of websites on the internet but I'm not sure if there is a cheaper method or better method to get residency in Italy. The people I contacted want me to set up a REP OFFICE in Italy though my company and then I can get an Italian visa for residency as the Rep for the Rep office.

There fees are about 6000 just to get residency. They tell me then I have to wait 3 years to apply for citizenship and then it can take up to another 3 years to get approved.

Has anyone gone through this process ? Is there a better cheaper method to get residency in Italy ?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Residency through Rep Office then 3 Years Eligible for C

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 15:43

There is no benefit to doing this unless you are absolutely certain that your jure sanguinis case is dead in the water.

First of all, you would have to reside legally in Italy for three years. To do so, you will have to prove substantial personal assets plus health insurance, such that you can remain in Italy for that length of time without an income, without holding a job of any kind, and without becoming a burden on the people of Italy. The suggestion to set up an office would be one way to get around some of these limitations, but as noted, an expensive option for sure.

Second, the final result of this would be naturalization, not citizenship jure sanguinis. The primary difference being, with jure sanguinis, you are recognized as having been an Italian citizen from the moment of birth, thus all of your children (no matter their ages) are also Italian citizens, as well as your wife if you married before April 27, 1983. On the other hand, citizenship through naturalization begins the moment it is recognized, so your adult children and minor children not residing with you are out of the loop and a pre-1983 marriage does not impact your wife's potential for citizenship.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 16:32

It is also worth noting that renunciation of US citizenship may not necessarily produce the intended effect, See http://travel.state.gov/law/citizenship/citizenship_776.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 27 Jun 2011, 17:38

I can live in Italy without working no problem. The problem is getting the long term visa and I'm not sure which route I want to take. I'm told I can set up a rep office but how about being a student ? I'm still young enough for that. Or a less expensive way ? I was quoted about 10,000 to set up a rep office with all the visas and I'm sure I can do it cheaper than that. If you have any idea how I can get residency or know anyone that has been through the process it would be a huge help if you could tell me.

I've researched renouncing for over 10 years now. I'm an expert on that and have a 2nd citizenship which I can travel on no problem. This Italian Citizenship by descent or naturalization I have no clue about however it would be nice to have a passport which I can travel better than the 2nd passport I currently have. The Italian Passport is one of the best in the world and even better than the US passport. I don't need to give citizenship to kids or wife.

Thank you so much for all your help, you are such a huge help to everyone here.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 17:52

You can get an elective residency visa (as typically used by retirees) simply by showing that you have sufficient assets and health coverage such that you will be able to reside in Italy comfortably without any source of income other than pesnions, social security, interest, 401k funds, other savings/investments, etc.

The amount needed to prove varies with each consulate and situation. See http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/exeres/023ECF5F-9F0D-48F5-84D0-3912E8366310,frameless.htm?NRMODE=Published

As noted, technically you will not be permitted to work in Italy and most interpretations are that you cannot legally work "outside Italy" by maintaining a web-based business, for example. Certainly, this type of income will not be counted by the consulate when considering a visa request, however there are many reports of persons cheating the system once in Italy and operating foreign-based businesses.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 18:05

One more thing: before you jump into renouncing your US citizenship, you had better ensure that your other citizenship is one that is treated with similar favoritism for Italian visas.

See [url]http://www.esteri.it/visti/home_eng.asp[/url} for various possibilities.
Carmine

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 27 Jun 2011, 18:49

Don't you need to be 55 or older for the retire visa ? This is why I think the attorney wants me to do a rep office. I would love to know all my visa options without some attorney trying to sell me something.

Great call about the favoritism for Italian visas.

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 27 Jun 2011, 18:54

I went to the website http://www.esteri.it/visti/home_eng.asp and it told me to go to my local embassy for an Italian visa. Didn't say anything additional. If my country was no favored it would say something else ?

I'm curious. I'm a resident in another country. Do you think the Italian embassy in my current country has the ability to process my citizenship by descent application? I looked on their site and no info but I think I'm going to walk in today and see what they have to say.

What do you think ?

thanks

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 19:14

I cannot say.

Regarding the visa question, my understanding is that you must use the consulate which has jurisdiction over your current legal place of residence.

Do you think the Italian embassy in my current country has the ability to process my citizenship by descent application?

Once again, you must apply at the consulate with jurisdiction over your current legal place of residence. Be forewarned though that this places even more burdens on your documentation requirements if, for example, most/all of your docs originated in the US but you are applying in England/Australia/Cambodia/wherever.
Carmine

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 27 Jun 2011, 22:58

Shouldn't be any problems with burdens placed on documents originating in USA, Australia, etc. Embassies/Consulates work together all the time. I applied in Mexico City with all of my documents originating in USA. Mexico City coordinated the case with Philadelphia. I had my passport in six months.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 27 Jun 2011, 23:04

jennabet wrote:Shouldn't be any problems with burdens placed on documents originating in USA, Australia, etc. Embassies/Consulates work together all the time. I applied in Mexico City with all of my documents originating in USA. Mexico City coordinated the case with Philadelphia. I had my passport in six months.

Sorry; I was referring to the needed extra steps regarding "legalization" of documents and translations by the US consulate of jurisdiction before those same documents can be submitted to an Italian consulate in another country or, for that matter, directly to a comune in Italy.
Carmine

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 27 Jun 2011, 23:26

.......'m curious. I'm a resident in another country. Do you think the Italian embassy in my current country has the ability to process my citizenship by descent application? I looked on their site and no info but I think I'm going to walk in today and see what they have to say. What do you think ?........

In actuality, the consulate where you legally reside won't be doing the work for your case. It's just a drop-off location; in effect a courtesy extended to a legal resident so you don't have to travel back to a consulate in the USA.

The consulate in USA where your documents originated (or where you last held residence) will decide if you have a case for recognition and then instruct your drop-off location to issue you a passport.

While your case is being processed, you may receive contact directly from the consulate in the USA instead of them going through your drop off location but in the end, your drop off location will issue you the passport; in effect another courtesy to a legal resident.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 27 Jun 2011, 23:32

Also for your information. If you decide to apply for an Italian visa, because you're a citizen of the country where you reside, you must apply with that country's passport. If you simply had permanent residence in that country, you could apply with your American passport.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 27 Jun 2011, 23:52

to answer the question about applying where you reside............ my brother lives in japan and an official at the NYC consulate said by law my brother has to apply in japan despite him being a US citizen. As you know though all the consulates interpret rules how they want.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jun 2011, 00:22

jennabet wrote:... because you're a citizen of the country where you reside...

Actually, I don't think grandpa77 has made that point clear. He has neither told us what his second citizenship is nor where he currently resides.
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”