Can I get Italian citizenship this way?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
LauraNonCe

Can I get Italian citizenship this way?

Postby LauraNonCe » 28 Jun 2011, 03:55

My grandfather came to Canada in the 1950's. My dad was born in Canada BEFORE my grandfather had become a naturalized Canadian citizenship (my grandfather was Italian and only Italian when my dad was born). He was 14 when my grandfather became naturalized.

I know my dad qualifies but can I only apply for Italian citizenship once my dad gets his citizenship or can we apply together?

Also, the consulate asks for many documents; one of them being the Italian passport my grandfather had when he came to Canada. If he can't find this passport, is it not possible for us to gain citizenship? We have every other document the consulate asks for but I'm just worried my grandfather won't find that certain one (thinking he wouldn't need it anymore once he became a Canadian)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Can I get Italian citizenship this way?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jun 2011, 13:00

Your grandfather's Italian passport is only one of several options you have for proving his Italian citizenship; it is not an absolute requirement. If you had an Italian passport with an issue date after the date of your father's birth, then you would probably be allowed to forego naturalization documents and possibly even grandfather's Italian birth certificate, as the mere existence of such a passport answers all the relevant questions all by itself.

Do I understand from your post that your grandfather is still alive?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

LauraNonCe

Postby LauraNonCe » 28 Jun 2011, 18:25

Yes he is still alive and in incredible health at age 82 :P

I checked the Montreal Consulate of Italy and man do they ask for a lot of documents.. They want a birth certificate, an Italian passport, a document of proving my Grandfather had a residancy in Italy and an immirgation paper he recieved whem he got off the boat in Canada. My dad is pretty confident my grandfather has all these papers as he needed them to gain citizneship in 71 but is it all reay necessary? If we can just show the italian passport that had been updated AFTER my dad was born (which Im sure he did update during those 14 years) wouldnt that be enough for the consulate?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jun 2011, 18:55

The consulate web sites all seem to ask for far more documents than are actually required under Italian law and, in most cases, they do not in fact demand all of these documents at the time of application filing. My only suggestion is that you try starting a new thread under a subject such as "Montreal Consulate Jure Sanguinis Requirements" or some such and maybe someone with direct experience will chime in.

Is your username after the Filippo Neviani ("Nek") song of the same name, Laura non c'è? http://www.nekweb.com/discografia/e-da-qui-br-greatest-hits-1992-2010
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

LauraNonCe

Postby LauraNonCe » 28 Jun 2011, 22:16

Ha yes it is. Didnt think someone would notice the reference! I'll start a new thread like that thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jun 2011, 22:28

LauraNonCe wrote:Ha yes it is. Didnt think someone would notice the reference! I'll start a new thread like that thanks.

I very much enjoy Nek's music! Seeing him perform live, in Italy, at an outdoor venue under a starlit sky, is on my list of things to do in the next five years. :D
Carmine

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”