Consulat Jurisdiction and Application-Chicago and California

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Consulat Jurisdiction and Application-Chicago and California

Postby JoshFM » 30 Jun 2011, 19:48

I'm confused by a statement in the application directions from the Chicago consulate. On page 11 of the application it states:
PLEASE NOTE: Vital statistics certificates (birth, marriage, death, etc.) that occurred in the United States of America in relation to Italian citizens must be registered at the City Halls in Italy. The registration will be processed by the Consular Offices. In order to do so the certificates must be submitted to the Consular Office that has jurisdiction over the State in which the events occurred, in certified copies issued by the competent County Clerk Office and legalized with the “Apostille”.

The section in bold throws me off, since I am not a permanent resident of California (where the "events occurred"). I live in Wyoming and fall under the Chicago jurisdiction, where I assume I would present my application. Can anyone help with this?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Consulat Jurisdiction and Application-Chicago and Califo

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Jun 2011, 19:54

Are you referring to a jure sanguinis citizenship recognition case for yourself, or the registration of birth/marriage/death for a person already recognized as an Italian citizen?

Hmmm... that probably was not entirely clear. :)

If you are planning to apply for jure sanguinis citizenship recognition, then you must do so at the consulate which has jurisdiction over your current place of legal residence. At the time of your application, you will have to show a government-issued ID such as a driver's license and/or a bank statement or utility bill to prove that you reside within the consulate's jurisdiction.

On the other hand, if you are seeking to register your marriage or the birth of a child, then you would follow the statement above - the consulate having jurisdiction over the place where the birth or marriage took place.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JoshFM » 30 Jun 2011, 20:02

I'm sorry I did not put my situation in context. I will be applying jure sanguinis. My Italian-born great-grandfather settled in California and that is where my family was born and raised. It is confusing to me because it says "certificates must be submitted to the Consular Office that has jurisdiction over the State in which the events occurred."

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 30 Jun 2011, 20:08

I think you were looking at the wrong page on the consulate's site.

Have a look at this document http://www.consdetroit.esteri.it/NR/rdonlyres/71A9888F-8B33-44AF-8C72-061FE7E8B672/34914/2CITIZENSHIPBYJURESANGUINIS1.pdf

and this page: http://www.consdetroit.esteri.it/Consolato_Chicago/Menu/I_Servizi/Per_i_cittadini/Cittadinanza/

You will be applying in Chicago because that is the consulate which has jurisdiction over your place of residence.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

JoshFM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JoshFM » 30 Jun 2011, 20:19

Thanks, Carmine. I've taken this quote from page 11 of the actual Chicago application document, which is the first link you provided above. I was intent on applying in Chicago, but this statement is just confusing. Another unrelated confusing factor is the fact that the application refers to obtaining certified certificates from the State vital records office, but also talks about obtaining them from the county clerk's office.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”