Apostille for Italian Documents to be used in Correcting US

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Apostille for Italian Documents to be used in Correcting US

Postby williamsburger » 05 Jul 2011, 17:54

Thanks to the sterling advice of members of this board, I've decided to try and fix a minor error on my grandmother's US birth certificate (a lack of apostrophe in her surname). However, since her parents were Italian, the only paperwork I have that shows the correct information is from Italy. Will the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene accept these documents with their stamps from the commune where my great-grandparents were born and married, or do I have to get Italian apostilles for them?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Apostille for Italian Documents to be used in Correcting

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jul 2011, 18:03

I can't speak for New York City, but two years ago I decided it was time to fix a number of errors in my mother's New York State (Westchester County) birth certificate, just for posterity's sake.

I was required to submit her parents' Italian birth and marriage certificates with certified English translations. Apostilles were not requested nor did I provide them.

Note: certified translations.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 05 Jul 2011, 19:15

What did certifying a translation involve? Was this a matter of going to the Italian consulate, or did you have the translations notarized?

I've done my own translations into English for the relevant documents, but I'd be happy to do whatever extra steps are necessary.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jul 2011, 19:24

I used a paid service. The certified translation included the following statement:

I hereby certify to the best of my knowledge and ability that the following 1 page is a true and accurate translation from Italian to English of the 1 page marriage certificate. The translated page is on the [company name] letterhead and the 1 Italian page which was e-mailed to us is printed on the reverse.

It is then signed and dated by the translation firm's "Project Coordinator" and notarized by a notary public.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 05 Jul 2011, 21:16

I had my GF death certificate amended to correct his birth date at NYC Dept of Health. I presented the Estratto da Nascita from his comune. The form the commune sent was the international form so it had English on it also. The person there reviewed accepted everything. I was told I would receive the amended DC w/ exemplification in 4-6 weeks. Haven't received it yet but it's still within the time frame

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Postby sceaminmonkey » 06 Jul 2011, 03:35

in NYC I went in to get a bunch of documents corrected with italian documents. I did have us documents as well but no italian apostilles were required as of november 2010

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”