looking for a birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
linoVII

looking for a birth certificate

Postby linoVII » 06 Jul 2011, 23:47

Hello, i need some help here, im looking for my great grand parents, they were both born in italy in 1843 aprox. the problem is that im not 100% sure where... i know they were from the piamonte but no idea exactly the comuna, and i guess thats a problem for getting the birth certificate i need.
i know some people got it by writing to the comuna, but that is not an option in my case...

well, thanks to everyone!! :mrgreen:

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: looking for a birth certificate

Postby Italysearcher » 07 Jul 2011, 11:10

If the boat manifest doesn't tell you and the naturalization record doesn't then you have a problem.
Try to narrow down the area by looking in todays white pages www.paginebianche.it
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 07 Jul 2011, 14:41

The white pages are great if you name isn't comman. If a parent comes here with children, when the children get married ( in a catholic church). There should be a notation in the parish marriage record of the town they came from. Plan B , death certificates are supposed to have the town of birth on them, assuming someone still alive at that time remembers. So the person who came here, get his death cert. Plan C if you know the provience and the birth date for a male you can get his draft record from the preoviencal archives. This will the name of the comune. There is a lot of shoulds here...

KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KarenChristino » 07 Jul 2011, 21:04

Basilicata (province) had my GGF's birth record in addition to his military record. And my great-aunt's NYC marriage record also listed her commune of birth. So I was able to locate the two towns.

linoVII

Postby linoVII » 12 Jul 2011, 12:48

thank you all guys, ill try to dig in
:D :D :D

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”