Time between petition and certification of naturalization?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Time between petition and certification of naturalization?

Postby 846newyorker » 08 Jul 2011, 19:49

I currently have some index searches out with the CIS to get my ancestors' naturalization papers, but it will be some months before I have everything in hand. At the moment I think I'm down to one possibility of eligibility, my GGF naturalizing after my GF's birth in U.S.

My GGF petitioned for naturalization in April 1916. I don't yet know when he legally naturalized.

Does anyone know how much time it usually took between petition and naturalization? Was petition the final step before swearing an oath? Or were there steps in between the two that could have held up the process?

My grandfather was born here 7 months after his father's petition. I think it will be very close! But I fear my hopes will be dashed -- they'd been in the U.S. for years by then so I suspect they'd fulfilled all the requirements (certainly all of the residency requirements) so maybe it was a quick process.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Time between petition and certification of naturalizatio

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Jul 2011, 20:09

846newyorker wrote:My grandfather was born here 7 months after his father's petition. I think it will be very close!

Indeed, it could be very close.

My paternal grandfather's petition was filed in October, 1934 and the oath was taken in February, 1935. My maternal grandfather filed in November, 1941 and took the oath in January, 1944; the delay was due to some sort of problem - quite possibly because we were at war with Italy at the time, if I recall correctly.

I would say six months was fairly common overall. If you have an Ancestry . com account, you can browse through thousands of actual sets of naturalization documents and get a feel for the processing times. Start at http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=1554 and use the "Browse This Collection" tools on the right side of the screen.

Do keep in mind that the Declaration of Intent and Petition for Naturalization were two different parts of the process. After the Declaration was filed, it was necessary to wait a minimum of three years before proceeding with the Petition. Are you certain it was your grandfather's petition which was filed in 1916?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 846newyorker » 08 Jul 2011, 21:25

Well, through more thorough research on that site, I have found that his April petition wasn't processed due to incompetent witness, so he re-petitioned in September. There's now a two-month window, it appears...

The suspense is killing me!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 08 Jul 2011, 22:17

Two months is definitely better than seven. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. . . Good luck. I think your odds are good. My gf petitioned in March 1927 and took the oath in April 1928. :D

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 09 Jul 2011, 00:19

I know that the plural of anecdote is not data, but my great-grandfather took about 5 years from his petition until his certification -- from 1923 to 1928. My other great-grandfather, who was naturalized before my grandfather was born and so was not eligible as a line of ancestry, took two years.

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 09 Jul 2011, 02:57

Five years from start to finish for my grand-father:

Declaration of Intent: 1919
Marriage: 1920
Birth of first child: 1922
Petition filed: June 1923
Oath taken: March 1924

846newyorker