Ship Called "Florida"

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Ship Called "Florida"

Postby jennabet » 09 Jul 2011, 07:01

I know that my grandfather left Naples on the "Florida" on February 28, 1910 and arrived in New York on March 13. The info is on his naturalization cert (I'm already recognized). But I cannot find the passage of him and his father and two brothers anywhere. I need the info to try and settle, once and for all, a nagging question about his father (my GGF) and finally provide an answer to my cousins in Italy as to what happened to him after he arrived in America. My mother says he's buried in the local cemetery but I can't find that info either. Is there any reason why there might not be a record of some passengers, i.e., pages missing, etc.? GGF's first name would be Giovanni, traveling with sons Guglielmo, Marco and Fioravante.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Ship Called "Florida"

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jul 2011, 11:54

This would be easier with the surname and ages of the four men.

As to missing pages, have you scanned through the entire manifest to see if any are obviously missing?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 09 Jul 2011, 16:25

You can go to www.ellisisland.org and search by vessel and crossing date ... and then the names appear in alphabetical order

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 10 Jul 2011, 00:40

Hi, thanks for the help. I did find my grand-father on the "Florida" but his name was so mangled it's no surprise I couldn't find it up to now. Here's what the record looks like:

First Name: Guglrepuo -- Should be Guglielmo
Last Name: Merltut -- not even an Italian name but first few letters are correct
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Casselli, Italy -- should be Castelli
Date of Arrival: March 13, 1910
Age at Arrival: 17 -- he was actually 16 and nine months but Italians give their ages in number of years lived
Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Florida
Port of Dep: Naples
Manifest Line 0020

Now for the problem. His father, Giovanni and brothers Marco and Fioravante are not on this boat. So the info I'm getting from Italy that they all left together is not correct and the controversy continues.

I tried searching the mangled info on my grand-father's name at Ancestry.com to see who he may be been visiting when he arrived by himself in 1910 but nothing comes up with the mangled info or his correct name. So I am now stuck. Any suggestions?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jul 2011, 15:30

Possible manifest for Giovanni and Fioravante:

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Fioravante Merlino
Name: Fioravante Merlino
Arrival Date: 26 Mar 1913
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ship Name: Verona
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Guyhilmo
Last Residence: Ecramo
Birthplace: Casteth, Ecramo
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_111

More detailed info would make the search easier...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jul 2011, 15:34

Marco's manifest?

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945 about Marco Merlini
Name: Marco Merlini
Arrival Date: 8 Apr 1914
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Ancona
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Giovanni
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Cardelli, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_125

Line 26:

Carmine

jennabet
Master
Master

Postby jennabet » 11 Jul 2011, 05:30

Thanks Carmine, yep, that's them and I'm starting to put together the story. But I need proof that Giovanni, the father came over here before 1910 with another woman and started a second family in Philadelphia. I did find somebody like that on a ship record and the 1910 Philly Census but I don't know for sure that it's the same Giovanni. When I went back to Italy, I got bombarded with questions as to whether or not I had other cousins in America and I thought that my GGM, who never left Italy, must have made it all up because the story passed down was that my GGF liked women, drank wine, gambled at cards and abandoned the family. Now I'm not so sure that this isn't all true.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”