Amount of time for the whole application process?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Amount of time for the whole application process?

Postby 846newyorker » 09 Jul 2011, 19:41

Could someone give me a sense of the overall timing of the process for getting de jure sanguinis citizenship?

Of course to get the appointment it's about a year. Then, once you've had your appointment and you have your papers in order, about how much time does it take for the papers to be registered in Italy before you get the letter inviting you to apply for citizenship?

Then, once you've received that letter, how long does it take to get the actual passport/citizenship?

Thanks very much!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Amount of time for the whole application process?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jul 2011, 20:41

There is no reliable answer to this question other than, "it depends."

It depends on the consulate, on where your documents originated (within the consulate's jurisdiction, from other states, or worst of all, from other countries), and probably on the phases of the moon.

In New York City, cases have been finalized in as little as 3 or 4 weeks (mine, for example, in mid-2008) or as much as well over one year. Other consulates have similar track records, although I believe New York was at one time the leader in quick turnarounds.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 846newyorker » 09 Jul 2011, 21:07

I figured there'd be no way to gauge accurately, but -- wow -- 3-4 weeks sounds amazingly short. I'd been assuming more along the lines of a year or more, even on the short end.

Anyone else have other similar or much longer experiences?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jul 2011, 21:21

I was told to expect a one year turnaround; no one was more shocked than I when the letter arrived just three weeks later.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

lorene
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lorene » 12 Jul 2011, 04:43

Although I am still in the process of securing documents, and finding out if I really qualify for jure sanguinis, I am wondering if I should go ahead and make the appointment now or wait until I have papers in hand. I am thinking of going into the Miami Consulate tommorrow and making the appointment in person as opposed to over the phone.
Any thoughts or advice on this route :?:

Thanks

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 12 Jul 2011, 05:25

wow this could vary a lot, but lets say 3 to 6 months after your appointment for the consulate to send your docs to the comune. Ah the comune could take a week or 6 months, I hope you have been nice to them. Once you have your birth extract figure I don't know that is where I am at not, 2 or 3 months. This is if everything works smothly.

trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Postby trinasignoriello » 25 Jul 2011, 10:27

Which commune do they send them to?

Also, anyone know the wait time for an appointment in Miami?

Thanks!

lorene
Rookie
Rookie

Postby lorene » 25 Jul 2011, 12:57

I dont' know which commune they send them to, however, I am going in person to the Miami Consulate today to make my appointment.
I 'll let u know how that goes.

trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Postby trinasignoriello » 27 Jul 2011, 23:16

How did it go?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jul 2011, 00:22

trinasignoriello wrote:Which commune do they send them to?

The birth comune of the ancestor you are applying through. My paternal grandparents were both born in Roccasecca, Frosinone and that is where my (and my wife's and son's) documents were sent.

Had I applied through my maternal side, my documents would have been registered in Malvito, Cosenza.

There have been occasional reports from applicants who attempted to have their documents registered in another comune for convenience. The consulate response was a flat out "No; not possible."
Carmine

belmoro19
Rookie
Rookie

Postby belmoro19 » 30 Jul 2011, 14:39

I went through the philly comsulate and had my appointment in February and recieved my letter of acceptance in late march, which I thought very quick. I did expect it to be that quick. I just recieved my Italian birth certificate and certificate of cotizenship last wek from the comune. So basically 5 months after appointment I am good to go. Very excited and can't wait to get to Italy. I hope all of you out there have the same success I have had. In buca da lupo ciao

ItalyBound

Postby ItalyBound » 31 Jul 2011, 19:51

Iorene,
I too am going through Miami. When I made my appt it was over 15 months out. I later checked for my wife and it was 18 months out. In addition, it normally is longer if you go directly through the consulate. Miami uses Abtran. By using them you can save an enormous amount of time.....again the 15-18 month timeframe as compared to over 2 years. Here is the link where you can find all the information on scheduling.
http://www.consmiami.esteri.it/Consolato_Miami/Menu/I_Servizi/Per_i_cittadini/Cittadinanza/
There is a fee...but making the appointment takes less than 3 minutes. So if you are still gathering documents, you should have plenty of time before your appointment. I am completing mine now. I had to have a court order change, out of country processing, numerous document name & date corrections, translations and follow up calls. I started in December of last year (2010)and I am within 1 document to complete. So it took me about 8 months to gather all my stuff. The processing out of Miami once your papers and documents are approved to receive your letter is running anywhere from 4-8 months depending on the commune of origination, which is where your line originated from. Once you receive the letter, obtaining your passport is just the time it takes to go to the consulate for processing. You will walk out with your passport after paying the fees. You have to go there because they now have electronic finger printing.
Ogni Viaggio Inizi Dal Primo Passo

goingtorome
Rookie
Rookie

Postby goingtorome » 01 Aug 2011, 20:12

I will be applying via mail through the San Francisco consulate. They told me I should expect it to take anywhere from 1-3 months.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”