Certified copy of naturalization papers

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Certified copy of naturalization papers

Postby 846newyorker » 13 Jul 2011, 06:33

Some at the consulate e-mailed me this about getting a certified copy of naturalization certificate from CIS:
>>> It means a copy with a raised seal or the original copy given to your maternal great-grandfather way back when. USCIS will send you an uncertified copy; there will then be a great deal of back-and-forth necessary to get it certified.

Does anyone know what is meant by the very vague "back-and-forth"? I have ordered my USCIS copy of the naturalization certificate but if it isn't certified, how will I go about getting it? (I do not have access to the original.)

Thanks very much!

jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Certified copy of naturalization papers

Postby jennabet » 13 Jul 2011, 23:02

.....Some at the consulate e-mailed me this about getting a certified copy of naturalization certificate from CIS:
>>> It means a copy with a raised seal or the original copy given to your maternal great-grandfather way back when. USCIS will send you an uncertified copy; there will then be a great deal of back-and-forth necessary to get it certified.....

Applicants not using New York City Consulate should be advised that a Certified copy of the Naturalization Certificate is not necessary. Not all Naturalizations are stored with NARA. In the case I'm working with, the Cameron County Courthouse in Pennsylvania gave away all of it's Naturalization records to the local historical society and the only recourse was to obtain the uncertified copy from USCIS. This copy, however, is totally acceptable and even New York should not refuse to accept it because Naturalization records are FEDERAL documents.

Since the consulate in New York is obviously abiding by some sort of New York state guideline in sending nearly all applicants through the court system to amend, change, alter, etc., every miniscule discrepancy, I wouldn't be surprised if at some point you may just have to hire a New York State lawyer from the get-go to even get an appointment in New York for dual citizenship because they've made it into something a lay person can't handle. Good for the lawyers, of course. By the way, the double Apostille is no longer just for New York City. We needed it for two documents from up state.

kontessa
Elite
Elite

Postby kontessa » 14 Jul 2011, 08:33

846newyorker wrote: there will then be a great deal of back-and-forth necessary to get it certified.

Does anyone know what is meant by the very vague "back-and-forth"?

The author of the email just wants you to know that they have just added another ridiculous hurdle for you in order to succeed at the NYC consulate. And it will take some time to complete. And you will be dizzy from the back and forth by the time you end up with a certified document. And we hope that you won't succeed. Geez, it appears that whoever wrote the email knows very well that USCIS doesn't issue certified records anymore. Hmmm...wonder if they're just following those 'new' regulations another poster mentioned.

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 14 Jul 2011, 13:24

FYI, I had the original Naturalization Certificate of my GF "certified" and obtained the Apostille here in NYC. I went to USCIS with the certificate, the wait to "see someone" was 5 hours and another hour for "the person who does that" to do it ... and then went to Manhattan Clerk for name check and then to NYS office for Apostille. They returned the original to me and certified a copy, which they made.

846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 846newyorker » 14 Jul 2011, 14:47

Sounds like I might be in for a quite a "back-and-forth"... Thanks.

What do you mean by you went to the Manhattan clerk for a name check?

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 14 Jul 2011, 16:48

NYC Process for Apostille You obtain the document needed to be apostilled long form and exemplified. You go to the county clerk office to have the signature on the document verified. Then you go to NYS Department of State Office (all of these are a few blocks apart) and they issue the Apostille. The signature of the USCIS person who certifies naturalization certificates is on file with Manhattan County Clerks office --- so it obviates having to get the Apostille via Washington DC

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 15 Jul 2011, 05:15

What is a double Apostille?

How do you get the USCIS naturalization document certified if USCIS does not do it ? Where do you go to get this certified ? When you say certified what do you mean ? Apostilled ? Legalized ? Authenticated ? I don't understand the word "CERTIFIED"

{{{I went to USCIS with the certificate, the wait to "see someone" was 5 hours and another hour for "the person who does that" to do it}}}

Where is USCIS in NYC ? Did they really make you wait 6 hours ? That's like torture ?

846newyorker
Rookie
Rookie

Postby 846newyorker » 15 Jul 2011, 06:06

Thanks for this info.

If it comes to it, I suppose waiting in person to have the USCIS document certified is what I'll have to do. But is the USCIS office you're talking about in New York? If you could pass along the address/phone or other contact information, I'd appreciate it.

rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Postby rjnigro » 15 Jul 2011, 22:24

It's the USCIS Office @ 26 Federal Plaza 3rd Floor, NY NY ... the entrance is on Broadway between Worth & Duane Street. I do not have a phone number.

The biggest wait was getting to someone once on the 3rd floor. You take a number and wait. I presented my GF's original certificate of naturalization and said I wanted to have it certified. I had to have my driver's license, my father's BC, and my BC to prove the line. It was taken to a Kim Crowell who does the certification. She is in a location one is not allowed to go. An hour later I had the certified copy, the original and the BC's returned to me.

Kim Crowell's signature is on file at the Manhattan County Clerk's office (60 Centre Street). I walked it there and had them stamp/notarize it. Then I walked to the NYS Dept. of State office (123 William Street) and they "Apostilled" it

Hope that helps

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”