Adopting children from Italy?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Adopting children from Italy?

Postby montclaire » 13 Jul 2011, 16:46

Hello, I hope I am in the right section to ask this. Does anyone know what the current situation is in regards to Americans adopting children from Italy? Does it help to have dual citizenship? Has anyone gone through this process? Are governmental fees exorbitant? Anything you can offer would be helpful. Thanks

Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Adopting children from Italy?

Postby Steverino3006 » 13 Jul 2011, 23:42

A quick google search (you do know about that, right?) confirmed my immediate thought:

"AVAILABILITY OF CHILDREN FOR ADOPTION: As a result of the extremely low birth rate in Italy, adoption of an Italian child by American citizens, while legally possible, is extremely unlikely. The vast majority of Italian adopting parents adopt children from other countries, particularly in Latin America."

http://library.adoption.com/articles/in ... italy.html

Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Paolo47 » 13 Jul 2011, 23:46

Hello,
Another place to look... :D
Here is a good web site if you haven't seen it.
http://adoption.state.gov/country_infor ... lect=italy
Maybe it can answer some of your questions..

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.

montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby montclaire » 14 Jul 2011, 09:25

Steverino3006 wrote:A quick google search (you do know about that, right?) confirmed my immediate thought:

Boy, you're a real prize.

Thanks to Paolo for a constructive response.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Jul 2011, 16:52

I thought both answers were helpful. While Paolo's points to the legal aspects of adoption of Italian children, Steverino's addresses the less-than-realistic chances of actually being able to accomplish the task.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”