Question re Jure Sanguinis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Question re Jure Sanguinis

Postby acartia » 14 Jul 2011, 15:29

I believe(but am still in the process of getting the official records etc to confirm)that my GGGF GGF,GF, and father were all born in Italy and were Italian citizens.My father came to Australia in 1928, married an Australian, I was born, and about 2 years later he relinquished his Italian citizenship as he had to,to become an Australian citizen. So I was born when he was still an Italian citizen, but of course when he died he was an Australian citizen.I am an Australian citizen of course. Could I be in the running for Jure Sanguinis? even though my father was not an Italian citizen when he died. Also what about my children who are Australian citizens? Also of course Australia does allow dual or more citizenship`s. thanks,John

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question re Jure Sanguinis

Postby johnnyonthespot » 14 Jul 2011, 16:48

If we were talking the same story except US instead of Australia, then I would say you definitely fit the parameters required for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis.

I think the question of interest is how did Australia treat the minor children of a naturalization applicant. If, as in the US, you were born with Australian citizenship jus soli (citizenship based on place of birth), then - again, as in the US - there was no need for you to "naturalize" along with your father since you were already Australian. This is the basis for a high percentage of US/Italy jure sanguinis cases and I suspect it will apply to you as well.

By the way, the only Italian record you will really need for your ancestors is your father's Italian birth certificate; there is no need to collect documents for your earlier Italian ancestors.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

acartia
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Question re Jure Sanguinis

Postby acartia » 15 Jul 2011, 13:54

I reckon you are right Carmine.I am sure our citizenship in Australia is similar to your`s in the US.ie Place of birth. I will look into it more fully on the local front, but it does sound promising what you have mentioned.Interesting too that you say I would only require my fathers birth certificate and not other ancestal family birth records from Italy. I am in the process of getting other records from Italy besides my fathers , but that`s for the genealogy side of my research, but it appears for the Jure Sanguinis they will not be required. Thanks Carmine.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”