Success in San Fran! Possible to speed up remaining process?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
heidebock
Rookie
Rookie

Success in San Fran! Possible to speed up remaining process?

Postby heidebock » 16 Jul 2011, 12:25

Hello All,

we received a letter from the consulate today stating that our application for citizenship was in order and that "barring any surprises", we should receive our formal letter of recognition within 4 - 6 months. We are overjoyed at this, and we owe most of it to the people on this forum. Thank you all for your help, especially in showing us the genealogical research ropes!

As you all know, the process to citizenship now continues and we were wondering if we could accelerate this process because we are eager to get to Italy. Can someone tell me what the remaining process looks like and what happens in this 4 - 6 month span? After you receive a formal letter of recognition, are you only then able to apply for a passport? Does the letter of recognition include your Italian birth certificate, or does it imply that the consulate has received it?

The reason I'm asking is that we are under time pressure (family issues) to move to Italy, apply for jobs, etc, and are also currently in Europe for another month. We have been to our ancestral commune and received documents directly from them before, so we have somewhat of a relationship established.

Are there any opportunities for us to speed up acquisition of our passports?

thanks

Erik

bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Success in San Fran! Possible to speed up remaining proc

Postby bene2950 » 16 Jul 2011, 20:51

Congratulations Erik

After my paperwork was submitted in SF it took 9 weeks to receive our formal letter of recognition. We immediately applied to get our passports. The wait was 3 weeks and we actually go next Tuesday for our passports. We did not receive a birth certificate or anything else from the comune. We tried to speed up the passport procedure but were told we had to have our recognition papers first. You are close now. Bill

dalemma

Re: Success in San Fran! Possible to speed up remaining proc

Postby dalemma » 17 Jul 2011, 05:54

That's great, congrats. I was told to wait a couple months until my comune could file all the paperwork, then apply for our Italian birth certs. Then we could set an appointment and have the passports done. However, I think you should/could register AIRE now. As for speeding things up???

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”