Modifying my Grandfather’s Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Posts: 2
Joined: 21 Jul 2011, 02:10

Modifying my Grandfather’s Birth Certificate

Postby Shawn123 » 22 Jul 2011, 02:28

Modifying my Grandfather’s Birth Certificate

My grandfather was born in Washington State to parents from Italy. On his birth certificate his name is listed as “Innocenso” although all of his other documents have him listed as “Vincent” and his parents have anglicized their names while all of their other documents use their original Italian-y names. Washington will not allow me to amend his birth certificate without a court order but NOBODY seems to know where or how to get such a court order, all they know is that I need one. Also, I live in another state so some of the folks in Washington tell me that I need a court order from my state but my state does not require a court order to modify the birth certificate of a deceased person and they seem to suffer from low self esteem as well because they don’t feel that Washington will honor a court order from poor little Idaho, even though Vital statistics in WA has told that they will. How do I make this stop? Does anyone have any experience with this process?
Thank you,

P.S. I will be having my application reviewed and processed in Turin while the rest of my extended family (brother, mom, uncle, etc) will be having there’s done in San Francisco. If this makes any difference.
Thanks again,

User avatar
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Modifying my Grandfather’s Birth Certificate

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Jul 2011, 15:09

Washington state government does not have to and is unlikely to honor a court order issued by anyone other than a Washington state or US federal court.

Your best bet is probably to contact a Washington state based attorney or learn how to file the appropriate motions yourself.

Perhaps some free guidance here: or

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Posts: 46
Joined: 13 Jun 2011, 23:54

Re: Modifying my Grandfather’s Birth Certificate

Postby trinasignoriello » 27 Jul 2011, 23:20

I have a similar question... My ggf was named enrico. On his son's bc from pennsylvania, it is written as henrico.
Is this going to be a major issue? Will i have to get a court order to modify this? If so, from pennsylvania?


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest