Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant

Postby roobyred » 01 Aug 2011, 19:07

I'm at the point of completing this paperwork and having it notarized. It's confusing what names go where and who is renouncing Italian citizenship me or my mother? Can someone help me? :(
Roberta

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Declaration of Living Italian Ascendant

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Aug 2011, 19:29

Well, it is not about renouncing, but about swearing that you (the person completing the form) never did renounce.

Presuming that your mother is the living Italian ascendant in this case, the form needs to be completed by her and all the information on the form pertains to her.

In my case, when I applied in NYC in 2008, my line was myself -> US-born father -> Italy-born grandfather. Since both my father and grandfather were deceased, I had to complete a "DECLARATION OF DECEASED ITALIAN ASCENDANT" (http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdonlyres/D997D6C4-306F-423A-A587-E1F2DA611440/0/form4.pdf) for each of them. If my father were still living I (or he) would have created a "DECLARATION OF LIVING ITALIAN ASCENDANT" (http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdonlyres/F5C45DAA-F5DF-40D6-ABD9-940FB223B88A/0/form3.pdf) for him and a "DECLARATION OF DECEASED ITALIAN ASCENDANT" for my grandfather. For this latter form, the applicant's personal information is inserted in the top section of the form and the deceased ancestor's information in the second section.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Postby roobyred » 01 Aug 2011, 22:54

Thanks Carmine.
So if I get this right, all info on DLIA form is mom's info except where it indicates "applicants last/first/middle name" that would be me and then I need to complete another for for my grandmother/father because they are deceased?

Roberta

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 01 Aug 2011, 23:35

roobyred wrote:Thanks Carmine.
So if I get this right, all info on DLIA form is mom's info except where it indicates "applicants last/first/middle name" that would be me..

Correct.

roobyred wrote:...and then I need to complete another for for my grandmother/father because they are deceased?

For your deceased ancestors, you use the Declaration of Deceased Italian Ascendant.

Note that keyword, "Italian". You only need these forms for the persons in your direct Italian lineage, not their spouses. So, you need one for your mother or for your father, but not for both.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Steverino3006 » 02 Aug 2011, 23:55

[quote="johnnyonthespot"]Well, it is not about renouncing, but about swearing that you (the person completing the form) never did renounce.

Presuming that your mother is the living Italian ascendant in this case, the form needs to be completed by her and all the information on the form pertains to her.

quote]

What consulate are you going through? When I did mine, I filled out and signed the forms, one for a deceased ascendant and one for a living ascendant. My living ascendant did not have to sign anything.

roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Postby roobyred » 03 Aug 2011, 03:17

I'm going through NYC Italian Consulate.
This is getting me very confused.
I feel like filling out every form just in case!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”