four weeks til Newark appt -- outstanding issues...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

four weeks til Newark appt -- outstanding issues...

Postby williamsburger » 01 Aug 2011, 21:29

Wow, it's hard to believe that my appointment at Newark is (almost) just around the corner! I'm going in on the 31st of this month, which is just about 4 weeks from now. I had hoped to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed by now, but there are still a few lingering issues that I have been fighting with various local governments about.

I was hoping someone could tell me the likelihood of my application being rejected, based on the following errors. (Please note that they all come from the relevant side of my ancestry, aka mother - grandmother - great-grandfather)

1. Grandmother's birth certificate: Her last name is "D'Addario," but it is spelled "Daddario" (no apostrophe) throughout the document -- on her mother and father's name as well.
2. Grandmother's death certificate: Her father's name (my great-grandfather) is listed as "Bartholomew," not "Bartolomeo."
3. Mother's birth certificate: her mother's name (my grandmother) is listed as "Daddarro," not "D'Addario"
4. Mother's marriage license: her mother's name (my grandmother) is listed as "Daddario," again without the apostrophe.

I have been to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene three times now to try and fix these problems, but the issue of my mother AND grandmother's birth certificates being wrong seemed to stymie them. When I last went, on the 28th, I finally spoke to someone who seemed to understand and be willing to fix my problem; however, there's not guarantee that I will have correct versions of these documents by my appointment.

Given the above errors, does it make sense for me to go in for my appointment? My mother will be accompanying me, as the living antecedent, and I'm having her take off work to come along. Additionally, I'm about to move from NYC out of state, so rescheduling another appointment would be very complicated.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: four weeks til Newark appt -- outstanding issues...

Postby sforza » 01 Aug 2011, 22:57

Hi Williamsburger -
Based on my experience in Newark, it would seem like most of these are no big deal. You should not reschedule. During my appointment, I had two documents where the amendments weren't ready in time. The officer told me to bring them to the next appointment.
In general, - again relying on my own experience there - discrepancies like yours - ie, the anglicanization and the lost apostrophes - may not even require amendment.
Also, NYC DHMH has been very responsive to appointment dates. Let the supervisor know the date of your appointment and they will work with you.
It seems like you've done everything right. Good Luck!

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 01 Aug 2011, 23:41

Sforza, thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that there's a history of leniency at Newark. Do you have a sense of how scheduling follow-up appointments would work? As I mentioned, I am moving in September. I suppose my mother could attend the appointment by herself, but I would like to be with her. Unfortunately, my presence in New Jersey will be severely limited.

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 02 Aug 2011, 18:02

I think you can just drop off the documents. In some instances, Newark has moved paperwork to the Comune (ie, accepted applications and registered people with their home Comune) even while waiting for documents to be dropped off.

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 03 Aug 2011, 17:37

Williamsburger,

Did you find it difficult to get the USCIS naturalization certificate certified by the USCIS in Manhattan ?

Or do you not need to do this because you using the Newark consulate?

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 03 Aug 2011, 22:31

Grandpa, when I requested my great-grandfather's naturalization certificate from the USCIS, all they sent me was a poorly photocopied version of his paperwork from the local court where he naturalized. I wrote to the court itself, and they sent me a copy of the documents with a raised seal and signature. I'm hoping that's all I need.

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 05 Aug 2011, 02:58

Probably. But I was reading of someone here that had to goto USCIS to get her USCIS document certified by the USCIS in manhattan. However that was for use in the NYC consulate so you probably have nothing to worry about.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 06 Aug 2011, 18:49

Grandpa, are you sure they weren't referring to the certification of NARA documents?

grandpa77
Rookie
Rookie

Postby grandpa77 » 06 Aug 2011, 20:21

MLER.....

I'm confused. Maybe someone can clarify things for me. I'm still gathering all the Marriage,Birth, and death certificates. My Great Grandfather never naturalized and I have an appointment with the NYC consulate next year. I should have all these documents soon but I'm confused about the other documents I need to present to the consulate.

Questions:

-I have a Letter from USCIS which states my GGF never naturalized. Do I need to get this letter authenticated by USCIS is Manhattan ? I read someone having to do something like that.

- I got a letter from Nara that states they can't find anything on my great grand father. Does this need authentication by someone? Do I need anything else from NARA or is one letter for my GGF enough ?

- I'm told I need to order something from the census also ? I'm confused with that. I searched the census records online and was unable to find anything on my great grand father. He left America in 1908 and never returned. I don't think he is in the census records. How can I get the census papers I need for my appointment ?

- I'm told I also need to go to local courts where my great grand father lived and request letters that they can't find him in their naturalization records. How is that done ?

Everyone on this board is awesome!!!

Thanks a bunch!

williamsburger
Rookie
Rookie

Postby williamsburger » 09 Aug 2011, 07:52

Update: my grandmother's corrected birth certificate has just arrived! The NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene turned it around in about 4 weeks...amazing!

With that fixed, I think I am going to bring it back to the Department, in the hopes that they will rush my mother's corrections. Meanwhile, I'm also applying to have her death certificate correctly list her father's name, although I worry that 3 weeks is not enough time for a change to be made. Unfortunately, until my mother's birth certificate is also fixed, I can't have the marriage license amended, but hopefully I'll at least have all the birth certificate corrections by then.

We're getting down to the wire!!

sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sforza » 10 Aug 2011, 00:02

grandpa77 wrote:I have a Letter from USCIS which states my GGF never naturalized. Do I need to get this letter authenticated by USCIS is Manhattan ? I read someone having to do something like that.

Do you have a certification of non-existence of record from USCIS? This is different than a no-records ltr from USCIS. You need the former, and it doesn't need to be authenticated.

- I got a letter from Nara that states they can't find anything on my great grand father. Does this need authentication by someone? Do I need anything else from NARA or is one letter for my GGF enough ?

No, the NARA letter does not need authentication. You need letters from the NARA regions where you GGF lived. If he just lived in one region, then no. You can look up the regional jurisdictions on the nara site.

- I'm told I need to order something from the census also ? I'm confused with that. I searched the census records online and was unable to find anything on my great grand father. He left America in 1908 and never returned. I don't think he is in the census records. How can I get the census papers I need for my appointment ?

You order census records from NARA online. If there are no census records with him listed, then there's nothing to order. There's no such thing, as far as I know, as a no-records ltr vis-a-vis the US census.

- I'm told I also need to go to local courts where my great grand father lived and request letters that they can't find him in their naturalization records. How is that done ?

Who you write depends on where he lived. For instance, if it's NJ, you write the state archives. In NY and PA, you write the county clerks. You can look them up online. You don't need to go in person.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”